Automate a list of manual task - please advice

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

captedgar

Automate a list of manual task - please advice

#1 Post by captedgar » 28 Jul 2010 05:39

Hi there

I'm trying to automate the following set of tasks using a batch file. This is kind of a software rollout to about 100 odd servers
Doing this manually takes me about 3-4 hours to complete. This is also introduces the risk of human errors which i want to avoid
The following are the set of manual tasks which i want to do it via batch file

1. Log onto the server 1
2. Set environmental path i.e. set PATH=%SystemRoot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727;%PATH%
3. Change dir i.e. cd "c:\Program Files\Folder1\Software1"
4. Unregister Software1.dll using regasm command i.e. regasm /u /tlb SoftwareComp1.dll
5. Remove Software1 using Add/Remove Programs
6. Open the following folder on a shared drive i.e G:\Installs\Software2\
7. Copy Software2.exe and Software2Addin.exe to Server1
8. Install the above two .exe's on Server1
9. Set environmental path i.e. set PATH=%SystemRoot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727;%PATH%
10. Change dir i.e. cd "c:\Program Files\Folder1\Software2"
11. Register Software2.dll using regasm command i.e. regasm /tlb SoftwareComp2.dll
12. Log out of server 1
13. Repeat the step 1 to 12 to server 2 to 100 odd

As seen above, i have converted the task to a batch file on most of them. Just need the resting doing it
please advice on how to progress or can u tell me if there are any tools on the net i can use to achieve the above set of tasks?

Regards

avery_larry
Expert

Re: Automate a list of manual task - please advice

#2 Post by avery_larry » 28 Jul 2010 10:41

I would create the .cmd file and then add it to a login script. Not completely automated, but you just need to login to those 100 computers and let the script run.

Looks like you've already got most of the commands you'd need for a .cmd file.

removing software -- you can probably use msiexec /x to uninstall software. Copying files is easy enough.

There are ways to run remote commands by ip address -- I don't really use them so I can't comment.

Let us know if you have more specific questions.