FEx - Folder Explorer HELP

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

Exouxas

FEx - Folder Explorer HELP

#1 Post by Exouxas » 30 Jan 2012 05:13

Hi, all.

Recently i have been trying to make the FEx, Folder Explorer. I never thought it would be easy, but i didnt think it would be as hard as this.

Green is what I've done, the red is what i havent done yet.
The basic idea is:
The FEx batch file starts out in a folder, checks the name of all folders within that folder, then it logs it into a text file named something like 000.FEx. After that, it goes into the first directory and copies in an .exe file, tries to run it. If it works, it reports that it does and where it does. If not, it starts the whole process over again, only this time in the current directory. And if there is no folders in the directory it has gone into, it goes back one folder and goes into folder two, it keeps doing this until it finds a folder that you can copy an exe file into and run it.

It would be great if someone could tell me how to do most of that, you dont really need to do the whole script for me unless you really want to.

alan_b
Expert

Re: FEx - Folder Explorer HELP

#2 Post by alan_b » 30 Jan 2012 06:08

I believe most folders will allow you to deposit and run an exe, unless you hit UAC or permissions issues.

It may be unwise to try it on c:windows\system32 and certain other privileged folders that by default should be hidden.

Suggested code snippet that may give a clue (not tested)

Code: Select all

SET NAME=ABCD

IF EXIST %NAME% ECHO Found %NAME%, could be either a file or a folder
IF EXIST %NAME%\NUL (
  ECHO Found a folder called %NAME%.
  ECHO You should be able to copy an *.exe and run it in this folder unless :-
  ECHO this folder already contains a subfolder or file with the same *.exe name ;
  ECHO or no such action is allowed due to UAC or permissions issues or malware activity protection .
)

Exouxas

#3 Post by Exouxas » 30 Jan 2012 08:59

The reason I'm making this script is to check if the folder has limitations towards executing/copying .exe files, so its supposed to try ALL the folders :P

alan_b
Expert

#4 Post by alan_b » 30 Jan 2012 09:22

I intend no offense but anything that can trawl through the system until it finds a folder in which it can execute an *.exe,
has the smell of malware that has penetrated a firewall and is looking for a convenient location for its payload.

I do not know your motives,
but I fear that any solution to your requirements will be picked up by a Google Bot and every hacker in the world will get a new weapon against the innocent.

Exouxas

#5 Post by Exouxas » 30 Jan 2012 10:10

The reason i want this script is to be able to run *.exe files in a folder on a pc with group policy (my school computer), the IT guys at my school has blocked most folders but so far there has been two folders they did not block, and we used them until they found out about them. So, no malicious malwares :P

Squashman
Expert

#6 Post by Squashman » 30 Jan 2012 11:12

Exouxas wrote:The reason i want this script is to be able to run *.exe files in a folder on a pc with group policy (my school computer), the IT guys at my school has blocked most folders but so far there has been two folders they did not block, and we used them until they found out about them. So, no malicious malwares :P

So you want us to help you circumvent I.T. restrictions. That is a big no no. I was an admin for a school district for 2 years and I won't help you.

alan_b
Expert

#7 Post by alan_b » 30 Jan 2012 11:43

Squashman wrote:So you want us to help you circumvent I.T. restrictions. That is a big no no. I was an admin for a school district for 2 years and I won't help you.

My son is not "The Admin", but he works in a school I.T. dept and has to undo the damage.
I am with you 100%.
Computer education is a privilege that should not be abused.