How to test for difference in output and then execute

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

tomhafiz

How to test for difference in output and then execute

#1 Post by tomhafiz » 08 Jul 2012 15:19

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to run a command which will do a silent upgrade of VMWare Tools if and only if the version of VMWare Tools that is already installed is older than the one that it is being upgraded to.
I basically figured I could do the silent upgrade if the VMWare Tools was different from the one that is going to be installed but I am having problems figuring out how to do that. What follows is my sort of pseudocode
for doing this:

*******************************************************************************************************************************
BuildVersion=8.8.2.10499 (build-590212)
If C:\Program Files\VMWare\VMWare Tools\VMwareToolboxCmd.exe -v "DIFFERENT TO" BuildVersion
then
\\NETWORK_SHARE\install\packages\VMware\vmtoolsupdate\setup.exe /S /v"/qn
else
exit
*******************************************************************************************************************************
So basically I have a variable called BuildVersion and if running VMwareToolboxCmd.exe -v (this command gives the build version of the VMware Tools already installed on the host) is different to the BuildVersion variable then run setup.exe with /S /v"/qn switches which is located on a network share ELSE exit. But it is not working and I can't figure out how to do the "DIFFERENT TO" bit. I am a scripting newbie and I have looked online without much avail so any help would be much appreciated. I hope this is the right forum for asking such basic questions.

Thank you,

Tahir

foxidrive
Expert

Re: How to test for difference in output and then execute

#2 Post by foxidrive » 08 Jul 2012 23:56

Where are you getting the latest build version from?

See what this generates. The details of the comparison commands depend on what output the vmware tool spits out.

Code: Select all

@echo off
for /f "delims=" %%a in ('
"C:\Program Files\VMWare\VMWare Tools\VMwareToolboxCmd.exe" -v
') do echo "%%a"

The comparison command requires that you have two build numbers in the same format and you would use this:

if not "%buildold%"=="%buildnew%"  "\\NETWORK_SHARE\install\packages\VMware\vmtoolsupdate\setup.exe" /S /v /qn

tomhafiz

#3 Post by tomhafiz » 11 Jul 2012 03:31

Okay thanks foxidrive I get some output for that FOR loop:
"8.8.2.10499 (build-590212)"

But I can't figure out how to SET that FOR loop output as the 'buildold' variable?
I mean if I could set 'buildold' as a variable then I could compare it to the 'buildnew' variable.

Thanks

foxidrive
Expert

#4 Post by foxidrive » 11 Jul 2012 07:34

tomhafiz wrote:Okay thanks foxidrive I get some output for that FOR loop:
"8.8.2.10499 (build-590212)"

Ok, so now you have the buildold variable.
Same code, just set the output to a variable name.

@echo off
') do set "buildold=%%a"
echo old build revision is "%buildold%"

What I don't know is how you are going to get the new build information, with batch code.

If it is on a web page then you can download the web page with the free wget.exe tool and then parse the HTML and extract the new build code - but we'd have to see the web page to see what format it is in.

tomhafiz

#5 Post by tomhafiz » 11 Jul 2012 14:45

Foxidrive, actually I already have the current build code and current VMwareTools etc. This exercise is to update any old builds of VMwareTools on workstations and I have tested the code and it works:

@echo off
set buildnew=8.8.2.10499 (build-590212)
echo new build version is "%buildnew%"
') do set "buildold=%%a"
echo installed build version is "%buildold%"
if not "%buildold%"=="%buildnew%" "\\NETWORK_SHARE\install\packages\VMware\vmtoolsupdate\setup.exe" /S /v /qn

So now this code can be put into a Group Policy Object and pushed out to all the workstations on the domain and if the VMwareTools is out of date compared to the current one it will do a silent install from the network share.

Thanks very much for all your help.