batch input to organize

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

Squashman
Expert

Re: batch input to organize

#61 Post by Squashman » 03 Aug 2012 21:04

Why wouldn't you organize their data into their user profile? When you get into Windows 7 it really doesn't like you writing to the root of the drive without running an elevated cmd prompt.

blackpete

#62 Post by blackpete » 03 Aug 2012 21:07

I am doing it in Windows 7 professional!

I am satisfy with the way it is, right now it creates a folder where the person choose, if it choose C: it create a folder called ORGANIZED in C:, if it choose D: it creates a folder called ORGANIZED in D:, in the future I will see what happen when I merge the different folders called ORGANIZED, from C:, D:, or E:

foxidrive
Expert

#63 Post by foxidrive » 04 Aug 2012 05:17

blackpete wrote:Do you need more proof?

I don't know what you are irritated about.

My post was a statement.
Put the batch file in c:\windows and see what happens when you run it from there.

blackpete

#64 Post by blackpete » 04 Aug 2012 08:34

Did I sound irritated? sorry!

It just that I havent encounter any problem with it, is more, I did what you told me, to put the batch in C:\windows, and when I called it, and choose to organize C:, still does the same thing, looked at the root and does the job, didn´t touch a single file from C:\windows.

I took a screen capture, but I can´t put it here.

Squashman
Expert

#65 Post by Squashman » 04 Aug 2012 12:50

blackpete wrote:I am doing it in Windows 7 professional!

you are right. It lets you create directories but not files. But I would still put all the folders into the USERS profile.

Code: Select all

C:\>echo.nul>text.txt
Access is denied.

C:\>mkdir organized

C:\>cd organized

C:\organized>echo.nul>text.txt

C:\organized>

foxidrive
Expert

#66 Post by foxidrive » 04 Aug 2012 13:40

blackpete wrote:put the batch in C:\windows, and when I called it, and choose to organize C:, still does the same thing, looked at the root and does the job, didn´t touch a single file from C:\windows.

The point is that it would organise any folder it was launched from. C:\windows has none of the files you are testing for, or few of them.

You designed this for people who know nothing, and if these people download the bat file and put it somewhere critical then it can be destructive.
I'm merely telling you the possible pitfalls because I am aware of them - and you are not, yet.

If you want to add a feature to select the users desktop or specify a location, that would deal with the issue of newbies using your batch file in places where it can do damage.

blackpete

#67 Post by blackpete » 05 Aug 2012 09:19

Thanks guys for the suggestions; Squashman No idea of what you are saying in there, cuz you have an access denied? see I recognized that I don´t know much about batch coding.

and Foxidrive, I really appreciate your probably legitimate concern (because you know more)about the danger that there can be, The batch when I started to do it, yes, it did organized any folder it was launched from, because it didn´t have a drive letter to choose, now it has, see when I launched it from C:\windows, at least (if wasn´t working) should have move the few txt files in the Windows folder, but only did what was supossed to do, just move the files in the root of C:.
with my little knowledge I really can´t make the program safer, so, can you make the adjustments to fix what you think is right?

I don´t mind trying what you guys are suggesting, which up to the moment have being great, but you are the ones with the experience and know how.
We are just eager to shut up and learn from try and error.