display all words starting with x?

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

Compo

Re: display all words starting with x?

#16 Post by Compo » 20 Aug 2014 10:33

@taripo

I provided solutions only after you had made it clear in response to foxidrive's question that there were no poison, unicode or foreign characters. (Without that you would not have received my response).

You had only told us to display the resultant lines, which seemed a strange requirement so I took the liberty of including the small overhead of setting each resulting line to a variable named using the matching line numbers from the read file. (Antonio then saw fit to take my code and remove this feature).

In the case however of all three of the respondents providing solutions you have thus far failed to thank or provide feedback to them for their efforts.

taripo

#17 Post by taripo » 20 Aug 2014 11:17

foxidrive wrote:
You do realise that they all answered after they knew what the text contained, right?

So did you! It was in the first post.

I didn't actually use the word text. I used the word lines and words and I gave an example

You describe the example that I gave as obviously bogus and rubbish, but that was it, that's what you saw and that's what they saw. I understand your point of view, but as I say, they answered it and were correct in answering it.

foxidrive wrote:As for answering the question as posed - sure, but answer the question as posed and then find out you have wasted your time when the OP replies to say it doesn't work, and you have to ask 20 questions to find out why the code failed.

Well that didn't happen here did it. And I did say I understand your point of view.

foxidrive wrote:It gets really wearing after the first 5000 times or so.

taripo, do you actually give up your free time to help random people every day of the week, free of charge?
Do it for several years and you might just change your attitude.

Yes, I have given up my "free time to help random people every day of the week, free of charge" and I've done it and for more than a few years. As I said. My attitude is to answer the question asked, whether it's what they intended or not. If they change their question, or add some stipulation.. then I might suggest they make a new topic.. When they do that then I can see value in their original question so I don't consider it wasted. I might answer it if it is something I can do quickly, or if it's something that interests me enough to put the time in to figure out..or to help them but there tend to be additional benefits that come with helping them e.g. the same question may help others and thus contribute to the community, they learn something, or learn to ask their question right... I let people ask what they ask and I answer what they ask, and if they themselves find that the answers don't address what they asked, then by me answering what they asked, I see that as an opportunity for them to learn to ask what they mean. Sometimes I say "this is not an answer but if you want to do X then do this". Or I might say "you can do it like this but you may want to do something else". That's just my approach. I see it as beneficial to anybody interested in the question they asked. I don't just answer only for the person asking. So a person may ask a question whose answer is no use to them but it's useful to others. Or a person may ask a question, and they'll see the answer to the question they asked - they might learn something. Or others might. And they can learn that if they wanted a different answer they should ask a different question. So they learn to write their question better. (or of course they might really be asking what they asked - there are very good reasons, particularly in programming generally, why somebody may give an example like the one I gave, that doesn't contain the kind of oddities that can come in specific real world situations.. because.. if one wants to figure out how to do something oneself, one should start with a simple case and thus it makes perfect sense to ask such a question. I particularly don't see good reason to be so presumptuous in such a case).
When they ask, (a question typically of the form how do I do this this way -when perhaps that way isn't the best), I do not insist that they mean to ask something else, and make it extremely difficult or hard to determine how or what it'd take to convince me otherwise. So, yes, I am very aware of what you are describing, I have my approach to it, which differs from yours, and this question was not one of those cases that you thought it was, I can see your approach and can see why you were presumptuous but the fact is that this was not one of those cases where another question was intended. It was a case where I intended to ask, what I asked. I'm not saying you should adopt my approach, i'm just saying your approach was incorrect in this case, or at least, did not lead you to answering the question.

taripo

#19 Post by taripo » 20 Aug 2014 11:42

I do appreciate the responses