Interactive DOS menu with vbs, or java script?

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

Haxs4Life

Interactive DOS menu with vbs, or java script?

#1 Post by Haxs4Life » 07 May 2015 19:34

I was wondering if someone could make a vbs script or a java script that I can start through dos for a interactive menu for an rpg game i'm making with dos. I have used cmdmenusel but its very limited. Here's a list of features I would like included if someone could be awesome to make this for me.
- Changeable font maybe? (Don't think this is possible to display in dos but if so then please)
- Bigger text (use ascii if necessary)
- When you click a certain area (like in a certain line/column specified in the vbs, which I will change within it)
- Also be able to change the color of the text and the background around it, and then when you hover over it, it will invert the colors (For example, the text is green and there's a black box around it but when u hover over it the box turns green and the text turns black) I know this part is possible since it is a feature in cmdmenusel.

Here's a link to the cmdmenusel program/vbs script if you want: http://www.filedropper.com/cmdmenusel

Aacini
Expert

Re: Interactive DOS menu with vbs, or java script?

#2 Post by Aacini » 07 May 2015 21:02

Ok, a couple comments about this topic:

- You suggested that cmdmenusel is a program/vbs script. It is not. It is an .exe program. So, where you got that program from? Where is the source code and in which language is written?
- A vbs script or java script certainly can NOT do what you requested.
- You cross posted the same request at Stack Overflow.

:?:

ShadowThief
Expert

#3 Post by ShadowThief » 07 May 2015 22:20

I never thought I would say this (and especially not here), but you really don't want to use batch for this. You're expecting way too much from a shell language - even bash can't do what you're asking. If you absolutely must use a scripting language, try Python. Otherwise, object-oriented languages like C++ or even Java are far better suited for this.

(Finally, if I can talk you out of making a text-based RPG altogether, that would be ideal; there hasn't been a good text-based RPG since Zork.)

ShadowThief
Expert

#4 Post by ShadowThief » 07 May 2015 22:24

Aacini wrote:Ok, a couple comments about this topic:

- You suggested that cmdmenusel is a program/vbs script. It is not. It is an .exe program. So, where you got that program from? Where is the source code and in which language is written?
- A vbs script or java script certainly can NOT do what you requested.
- You cross posted the same request at Stack Overflow.

:?:

As far as I can tell, cmdmenusel originated on the now-defunct website of Justin Goldspring, and has only survived through mirrors.