Multi-Folder file Compression with external application

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

Gernash

Multi-Folder file Compression with external application

#1 Post by Gernash » 14 Aug 2016 02:49

The Wiki I made and what this is for.

http://wiki.step-project.com/User:Gernash/MODWiki

The reason for this

I play a game called Fallout 4, I've found with 12G+ of loose textures, Meshes and Materials it cough's and fats when looking around ingame.
I have Consolidated all the loose files and created a couple of BA2 archives (about 9Gb in 2 files) and loaded them into an empty ESP.
I have found my load time is quicker and there is no more Jittering when looking around and game runs smooth.

My ModGrinder Mod concept.....

I'm not a programmer but can make basic BAT files and I can edit others scripts.
I'd use ModOrganizer 2 to organize my mods i.e. Load order

it generates a file modlist.txt
e.g. content order is listed in reverse order to the visual order in the programs page.

# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
-Snap'n Build
-Settlement Objects Expansion Pack - All DLC
+Settlement
+-----------------------------------Settlement mods-----------------------------------
+Armor and Weapons Keyword Community Resource
+Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch
+-----------------------------------Core Files-------------------------------------------
*Unmanaged: Automatron
*Unmanaged: DLCworkshop02
*Unmanaged: DLCworkshop03
*Unmanaged: Far Harbor
*Unmanaged: Wasteland Workshop

I want to make a batch file that calls the Modlist.txt and moves the loose files (*.esp and *.BA2) and any subfolders in order {bottom to top} to the "ModGrinder" Mod folder then if a *.BA2 file exists it expands (external app) the compressed file. Then deleting the *.BA2
It will work it's way up the list till they are all moved to this "Grinder folder" folder.
Grinder folder should only contain *.esp and a bunch of folders
the Batch file then calls the BA2 archive program to compress the /textures folder and all contents in Type1 format then delete the /texture folder
the Batch file then calls the BA2 archive program to compress the other folder and all contents in Type2 format then deletes all sub folders

Caveats:
Need to Backup the Modlist.txt and change all the "+" in front of the mods to "-" so you know when they have been compressed "relates to mod on or off" only the plus ones get compressed.
There are more things but I think I've rambled on enough for now

Sorry is this a Little left field question but I'm not deep into the coding community and I thought you might have an idea on how I can get some interest doing this or pointing me to a forum in the internetverse or someone that may be able to assist me. (or write it for me :lol: )

The process is easy just tedious when done by hand.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

aGerman
Expert

Re: Multi-Folder file Compression with external application

#2 Post by aGerman » 14 Aug 2016 04:47

Gernash
Whenever you ask a question please keep in mind that nobody but you sees your display and nobody but you has any knowledge in what you're talking about. You have to provide all the pathes of files that should be processed including the place where you want to save the Batch file.

I want to make a batch file that calls the Modlist.txt

Call? Does it mean you want to open it in a text editor? What shall the content tell us?

and moves the loose files (*.esp and *.BA2) and any subfolders in order {bottom to top} to the "ModGrinder" Mod folder then if a *.BA2 file exists it expands (external app) the compressed file.

You lost me completely. What are "loose files"? What means "bottom to top", ordered by Name, by date, ...? Where are they placed, where shall they be moved?

the Batch file then calls the BA2 archive program

Where is it placed and where to find the command line reference for this program?

To be honest I stopped reading at this point ...

Regards
aGerman

foxidrive
Expert

#3 Post by foxidrive » 14 Aug 2016 14:04

Gernash wrote:There are more things but I think I've rambled on enough for now

There was a lot of rambling because I can't follow it either.

Gernash, a script does things in a logical sequence and a programmer needs the details to know how to order the commands.

Your conversation uses terms that seems to come from your game play and they mean nothing to a person who doesn't play your game.
See here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6108

Gernash

#4 Post by Gernash » 21 Feb 2017 19:21

Sorry for the very late reply, I did not receive notification people were responding to the topic.

I can include all the information but it's a bit complicated but I'll try.
All folders location for compression
c:\ModOrganizerData\Fallout 4\mods
Active Mod file list location
c:\ModOrganizerData\Fallout 4\profiles\MODWiki CORE\modlist.txt
contents of file (It is in reverse order.)
http://pastebin.com/NtXskSEc
Location of archiving software C:\SteamGames\steamapps\common\Fallout 4\Tools\Archive2\Archive2.exe

The + means it's active and the - is disabled.
so if I want to compress the files under(this is a folder name)
+-------------------------Landscape Texture and LOD Replacements--------

It will copy all the sub-folders into that one then run the external Archive2.exe (I used the word Call here in original post) to expand all files that have the .BA2 .txt .jpg .mohidden extension

Then run the external Archive2.exe to compress all the files and folders (all this type of stuff I can handle and no prior knowledge is needed it's similar to command line zip)

Then delete all subfolders in the
+-------------------------Landscape Texture and LOD Replacements--------

Then chance the + in the text file of the compressed folders to a -
ridges
i.e. this
+FAR - Faraway Area Reform
to this
-FAR - Faraway Area Reform

I can be contacted
Here http://forum.step-project.com/topic/117 ... ganizer-2/
I have Discord server is anyone wants to discuss it in further detail

It's not complicated in itself just difficult to explain in a few short lines.

Squashman
Expert

#5 Post by Squashman » 22 Feb 2017 07:41

Gernash wrote:Sorry for the very late reply, I did not receive notification people were responding to the topic.

Before we had all these fancy mobile devices that gave us all these notifications that someone sent you a message we just had email and desktop computers. Since we didn't have notifications we had to check our email every day. Or logon to a BBS or IRC channel every day to get updates to what was going on. When we got email in college our instructors then said you are now I.T. professionals. If you get an email from one of us, you have 24 hours to respond. If you don't, you will be docked 10 points from your grade.

In the meantime, while you were gone, Foxidrive passed away.

Gernash

#6 Post by Gernash » 22 Feb 2017 07:59

WOW, I had no Idea. I do not follow these forums or view it's news.
I was trying to drum up interest to find someone to assist in writing this file copy batch. Hence the messages.

I'm sorry to hear of his passing.