[RESOLVED] [ERROR] Batch Script - Unknown Problem

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

RedEyedRocker

[RESOLVED] [ERROR] Batch Script - Unknown Problem

#1 Post by RedEyedRocker » 25 Mar 2017 17:02

EDITFINAL: FIXED EVERYTHING MYSELF!!! I WORKED MY ASS OFF FOR HOURS CHECK EVERY SINGLE LINE!!! NOW IT WORKS FINE!!!

EDIT: My first problem has already been fixed! Thanks to penpen! But here comes another problem.

Everything is fixed but I don't know how to protect these. I tried adding/removing quotes but it shows me error.

I found out that you can't protect these with double quotes as it will crash the program:

Code: Select all

if /p variableExample==1 goto someWhere

But these are the ones I can't protect and without protecting it, I can't echo them into a file.

CODE:

echo set "char=%userInput:~0,1%" >> "%userprofile%\Documents\TheRivalsRage\Encrypt-Decrypt\functions\Encrypt.bat"
echo set "userInput=%userInput:~1%" >> "%userprofile%\Documents\TheRivalsRage\Encrypt-Decrypt\functions\Encrypt.bat"

I receive the following error.

ERROR:-

set "char=~0,1userprofile\Documents\TheRivalsRage\Encrypt-Decrypt\functions\Encrypt.bat"
set "userInput=~1userprofile\Documents\TheRivalsRage\Encrypt-Decrypt\functions\Encrypt.bat"
Last edited by RedEyedRocker on 26 Mar 2017 00:25, edited 4 times in total.

penpen
Expert

Re: [ERROR] Batch Script - Unknown Problem

#2 Post by penpen » 25 Mar 2017 17:42

I think you have created the above batch using your script linked here.

The issue is caused by the (in your case unwanted) spaces at the end of the line:
These produce an infinit loop ("always encrypt2" on "if not "%userInput%"=="" goto encrypt2").

You could protect against them in different ways:
- When using set, just use doublequotes the definition of the environment variable, so the unwanted spaces don't harm your variable content; example:

@echo off
setlocal enableExtensionsn enableDelayedExpansion
set a=a
set "b=b"
echo "%a%"
echo "%b%"
endlocal

- Don't echo to variable this way:

echo abc >> test.txt
echo def >> test.txt
echo ghi >> test.txt

Instead doing it this way (so the extra spaces won't appear):

> "test.txt" echo abc
>>"test.txt" echo def
>>"test.txt" echo ghi
:: or alternatively
> "test.txt" (
   echo abc
   echo def
   echo ghi
)
Sidenote: You should also protect filenames and pathes against spaces within them (by using doublequotes araound the filename as shown).

penpen

RedEyedRocker

#3 Post by RedEyedRocker » 25 Mar 2017 18:19

penpen wrote:I think you have created the above batch using your script linked here.

The issue is caused by the (in your case unwanted) spaces at the end of the line:
These produce an infinit loop ("always encrypt2" on "if not "%userInput%"=="" goto encrypt2").

You could protect against them in different ways:
- When using set, just use doublequotes the definition of the environment variable, so the unwanted spaces don't harm your variable content; example:

@echo off
setlocal enableExtensionsn enableDelayedExpansion
set a=a
set "b=b"
echo "%a%"
echo "%b%"
endlocal

- Don't echo to variable this way:

echo abc >> test.txt
echo def >> test.txt
echo ghi >> test.txt

Instead doing it this way (so the extra spaces won't appear):

> "test.txt" echo abc
>>"test.txt" echo def
>>"test.txt" echo ghi
:: or alternatively
> "test.txt" (
   echo abc
   echo def
   echo ghi
)
Sidenote: You should also protect filenames and pathes against spaces within them (by using doublequotes araound the filename as shown).

penpen

Thanks! Everything is fixed but I don't know how to protect these. I tried adding/removing quotes but it shows me error.

EDIT: I found out that you can't protect these with double quotes as it will crash the program:

CODE:

echo set "char=%userInput:~0,1%" >> "%userprofile%\Documents\TheRivalsRage\Encrypt-Decrypt\functions\Encrypt.bat"
echo set "userInput=%userInput:~1%" >> "%userprofile%\Documents\TheRivalsRage\Encrypt-Decrypt\functions\Encrypt.bat"

set "char=~0,1userprofile\Documents\TheRivalsRage\Encrypt-Decrypt\functions\Encrypt.bat"
set "userInput=~1userprofile\Documents\TheRivalsRage\Encrypt-Decrypt\functions\Encrypt.bat"

Squashman
Expert

#4 Post by Squashman » 25 Mar 2017 20:46

Figure out your own error by debugging your program properly. Run it from a cmd prompt on turn echo on.

RedEyedRocker

#5 Post by RedEyedRocker » 25 Mar 2017 22:35

Squashman wrote:Figure out your own error by debugging your program properly. Run it from a cmd prompt on turn echo on.

That problem was already fixed, read carefully. I'm talking about my another problem.

penpen
Expert

Re: [RESOLVED] [ERROR] Batch Script - Unknown Problem

#6 Post by penpen » 26 Mar 2017 03:33

RedEyedRocker wrote:But these are the ones I can't protect and without protecting it, I can't echo them into a file.

CODE:

The (environment) variable "userinput" is not defined - but - i think you don't want to pass the variable content to the file, so you have to escape the percentage sign:
Percentage Expansion (explained by dbenham) is done in an earlier parser phase (explained by jeb) than special character expansion, so you have to use another escape sequence; just use "%%".

>> "%userprofile%\Documents\TheRivalsRage\Encrypt-Decrypt\functions\Encrypt.bat" (
   echo set "char=%%userInput:~0,1%%"
   echo set "userInput=%%userInput:~1%%"
)

RedEyedRocker wrote:I found out that you can't protect these with double quotes as it will crash the program:

I guess you wanted to do something like this:

if /p "%%variableExample%%" == "1" goto someWhere

penpen

RedEyedRocker

Re: [RESOLVED] [ERROR] Batch Script - Unknown Problem

#7 Post by RedEyedRocker » 26 Mar 2017 04:40

penpen wrote:
RedEyedRocker wrote:I found out that you can't protect these with double quotes as it will crash the program:

I guess you wanted to do something like this:

if /p "%%variableExample%%" == "1" goto someWhere

penpen

>> I've already fixed my function. I did the following:-

CODE:-

echo set "char=%%userInput:~0,1%%" >> "%userprofile%\Documents\TheRivalsRage\Encrypt-Decrypt\functions\Encrypt.bat"
echo set "userInput=%%userInput:~1%%" >> "%userprofile%\Documents\TheRivalsRage\Encrypt-Decrypt\functions\Encrypt.bat"

Basically. I'm making a single Application that will install different functions into the PC which will then be called later when the user wants it. It works fine now, It's a encrypter/decrypter tool with authentication protection. I've already made those functions so I want my application to install those functions and call them when the users wants to open tool like encrypter or decrypter. I've made my encrypter function to successfully install so now I can do the same for other functions without problems as I have understood that you need to escape sequence on special characters.

Thanks for your help! Your Auto Escape Sequence on Special Characters code made my life easier!

Squashman
Expert

#8 Post by Squashman » 26 Mar 2017 09:14

RedEyedRocker wrote:
Squashman wrote:Figure out your own error by debugging your program properly. Run it from a cmd prompt on turn echo on.

That problem was already fixed, read carefully. I'm talking about my another problem.

You show me in your thread where someone told you how to debug a batch file properly. You even said in your original post before you edited it that you could not see the error because the script would close to quickly. This means you were running your batch file with your mouse instead of running it from the cmd prompt. So YES. I READ THE WHOLE THREAD. I AM A MODERATOR. THAT IS MY JOB.

RedEyedRocker

#9 Post by RedEyedRocker » 26 Mar 2017 11:24

Squashman wrote:
RedEyedRocker wrote:

You show me in your thread where someone told you how to debug a batch file properly. You even said in your original post before you edited it that you could not see the error because the script would close to quickly. This means you were running your batch file with your mouse instead of running it from the cmd prompt. So YES. I READ THE WHOLE THREAD. I AM A MODERATOR. THAT IS MY JOB.

I don't give a horse shit who you are if you're going to act like this. I was saying the script closes immediately even if I use @echo off with pause and also via cmd. But anyways, that wasn't even the solution to check for error in that situation because there were missing escape sequence on special characters. You need to calm down, if you're really a moderator then you shouldn't be acting like this.