Terminus.bat (Work in progress)

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

Azaciel

Terminus.bat (Work in progress)

#1 Post by Azaciel » 29 Jul 2017 14:24

I'm currently working on a batch program called "Terminus" which is supposed to be a simplified Command Prompt. It's still a huge work in progress, but I've just recently updated it. Click here for the GitHub page for source code and download.

Feel free to fork out the code and make your own version of it if you'd like, but please give me some sort of credit.
Hope you guys enjoy, and feel free to make suggestions on here or the GitHub page, I'll review them if any.

OR: If you just want to download it, then click here.

Just open the zip file and the folder it contains, and you'll see the Terminus.bat file.
Last edited by Azaciel on 29 Jul 2017 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

penpen
Expert

Re: Terminus.bat (Work in progress)

#2 Post by penpen » 29 Jul 2017 17:25

You could shorten the code, by avoiding the "if %command% == ...", but i'm unsure if the following is faster (or not; untested):

Code: Select all

setlocal enableExtensions enableDelayedExpansion
call :main
goto :eof

:error
echo(Unknown command.
 :main
set "choice="
set /p "choice=Choice: "
set ^"choice=!choice:"=""!"
if not "!choice!" == "!choice:""=!" goto :main
if "!choice!" == "quit"   goto :eof
2>nul >nul findstr /b /e /l /i /c:":!choice!" "%~f0" && call :!choice! || goto :error
goto :main

:color.green
echo(#color.green
echo(

:color.white+white
echo(#color.white+white
echo(

:cmd
:help
echo(Available Commands:
echo(color.green
echo(color.white+white
echo(cmd
echo(help
echo(quit
echo(

penpen

Azaciel

#3 Post by Azaciel » 29 Jul 2017 19:03

My point was to make it simple. I want people to use the source code to their advantage, and I wanted it to be understandable to beginners in Batch. It was meant to be simple, so therefore longer.

Soon enough, though, it'll be too long for people to fork out the code, it'll become long enough to where it'll take a bit just to scroll down to the bottom of the page, so by that time I might just post updates here, including the download link.

ShadowThief
Expert

#4 Post by ShadowThief » 29 Jul 2017 20:47

I got the impression from the code that the point was to offer the command line, but with the added feature of a list of all the possible commands that could be run. That same thing would be accomplished with the HELP command.

Azaciel

#5 Post by Azaciel » 29 Jul 2017 21:23

ShadowThief wrote:I got the impression from the code that the point was to offer the command line, but with the added feature of a list of all the possible commands that could be run. That same thing would be accomplished with the HELP command.

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying.

ShadowThief
Expert

#6 Post by ShadowThief » 29 Jul 2017 21:27

Azaciel wrote:
ShadowThief wrote:I got the impression from the code that the point was to offer the command line, but with the added feature of a list of all the possible commands that could be run. That same thing would be accomplished with the HELP command.

echo Terminus is designed to replace Command Prompt, since Command Prompt is way more difficult
echo and hard to navigate. Instead of having to look everything up online, you can use
echo the command "commands" or "cmd" to bring up all the commands and what they do.

The command HELP already does this.

PaperTronics

#7 Post by PaperTronics » 30 Jul 2017 02:39

The exact idea me and some other programmers like TSnake, DarkBatcher (the creator of Batbox) have. To create a simplified yet efficient Command Prompt (and hopefully an advanced programming language similar to Batch). I call Batch++, DB and TSnake call it Dos9, you call it Terminus.

Our goal is to create a Command Prompt, that already has the advanced commands that you would get by using plugins, built-in. It will have a simplified version of the complex for loop, an comprehensible to beginners help menu and what not!

So, are you up for it?

Azaciel

#8 Post by Azaciel » 30 Jul 2017 05:59

ShadowThief wrote:
Azaciel wrote:

echo Terminus is designed to replace Command Prompt, since Command Prompt is way more difficult
echo and hard to navigate. Instead of having to look everything up online, you can use
echo the command "commands" or "cmd" to bring up all the commands and what they do.

Yes, I realize that. But the goal of Terminus to be a simpler command prompt, so obviously it's not going to have the same EXACT commands as command prompt. It's Terminal-based more or less than command prompt-based.

I'm trying to make a simpler command prompt but also trying my best to be intelligible to beginners as well.
I'm adding games to it too, like Connect 4 is already added, I added it yesterday. You can also change colours and what-not and play the games IN those colours. I understand that these things can be done in command prompt too, but my goal is to make it much more simplified so people don't have to navigate and work command prompt when it's difficult to use.

Azaciel

#9 Post by Azaciel » 30 Jul 2017 06:02

PaperTronics wrote:The exact idea me and some other programmers like TSnake, DarkBatcher (the creator of Batbox) have. To create a simplified yet efficient Command Prompt (and hopefully an advanced programming language similar to Batch). I call Batch++, DB and TSnake call it Dos9, you call it Terminus.

Our goal is to create a Command Prompt, that already has the advanced commands that you would get by using plugins, built-in. It will have a simplified version of the complex for loop, an comprehensible to beginners help menu and what not!

So, are you up for it?

Of course I'm up for it!
But my goal is to also have people fork out the code (preferably beginners) to make something new out of it, or to make their own version.
I just thought that would be a fun little plus to have, since it's set up in a very simple way.

PaperTronics

#10 Post by PaperTronics » 30 Jul 2017 06:20

Azaciel wrote:But my goal is to also have people fork out the code (preferably beginners) to make something new out of it, or to make their own version.
I just thought that would be a fun little plus to have, since it's set up in a very simple way.

I like the idea of the code of the Command Prompt being simple, but unfortunately, that can't happen :cry: Since all of the commands in this advanced CMD will be advanced, there is no chance of the code being simple so that beginners can easily comprehend it.

This sparked up another idea in my mind :!: We should make the advanced command prompt, and include another file beside it which will be for beginners to easily understand and make their own version of it! The file will have some basic code so that the viewer gets tempted to make his own version of it! Kinda like a Do-it-Yourself file...

So....

What do you say?

ShadowThief
Expert

#11 Post by ShadowThief » 30 Jul 2017 08:15

Azaciel wrote:
ShadowThief wrote:
Azaciel wrote:

Yes, I realize that. But the goal of Terminus to be a simpler command prompt, so obviously it's not going to have the same EXACT commands as command prompt. It's Terminal-based more or less than command prompt-based.

I'm trying to make a simpler command prompt but also trying my best to be intelligible to beginners as well.
I'm adding games to it too, like Connect 4 is already added, I added it yesterday. You can also change colours and what-not and play the games IN those colours. I understand that these things can be done in command prompt too, but my goal is to make it much more simplified so people don't have to navigate and work command prompt when it's difficult to use.

Games have no place being built in to the terminal, IMO. It's a shell for running commands, not an operating system.

And what exactly are you finding so difficult about the command prompt as it currently stands?

Azaciel

#12 Post by Azaciel » 30 Jul 2017 08:44

ShadowThief wrote:
Azaciel wrote:
ShadowThief wrote:

Games have no place being built in to the terminal, IMO. It's a shell for running commands, not an operating system.

And what exactly are you finding so difficult about the command prompt as it currently stands?

If I'm not the only one creating my own command prompt, then that means some people just straight up don't like it. You don't HAVE to be here downloading it and checking out the code, this is 1 link in the entire world of internet links.
If you don't like it, you can easily leave this behind.

Also, I can make my batch files the way I want them to be made. If you don't want games to be implemented into a terminal, then remove it for your own version. Or just stop talking about it because it's my own project.

aGerman
Expert

#13 Post by aGerman » 30 Jul 2017 09:15

Usually if people introduce their project they do it in order to get some feedback.
Usually if people give feedback they do it in oder to help improving the project.
Usually.

If you get feedback and you don't want to follow the suggestions, just don't do it. If you don't want to discuss your decissions then just don't do it.

Steffen

Topic locked.