Share your Scripts!

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

creativescripter

Share your Scripts!

#1 Post by creativescripter » 21 Jan 2016 14:04

In this topic, I want us all to share some script examples. They don't need to be complex but use this as a way to get feedback and recognition for your scripts. It can be fun to share ideas and it can also be helpful for new coders to have real examples of full scripts to run, and then be able to break it down to learn the inner workings. This is always how I learned!

Squashman
Expert

Re: Share your Scripts!

#2 Post by Squashman » 21 Jan 2016 15:19

Just start reading all the thread questions. There is pretty much a script in everyone. I see no reason for our long time members to copy and paste their existing scripts they have already posted on the forum into this topic.

ShadowThief
Expert

#3 Post by ShadowThief » 21 Jan 2016 17:12

Just sort the forum by views. All the awesome stuff will be at the top.

But like Squashman said, pick literally any topic and you'll see some mind-bogglingly awesome code that you won't see anywhere else.

foxidrive
Expert

#4 Post by foxidrive » 21 Jan 2016 20:46

ShadowThief wrote:But like Squashman said, pick literally any topic and you'll see some mind-bogglingly awesome code that you won't see anywhere else.

+1

Just adding here that discussion about the individual scripts is useful in the thread with that script - it keeps it nicely bundled for people to read.

Pulling apart scripts and modifying them is how I started out too.

creativescripter

#5 Post by creativescripter » 22 Jan 2016 08:54

As much as I appreciate everyone's thoughts, and I do agree that there are awesome scripts in every forum, I think foxidrive is right. Having the scripts all posted here bundled together will make it easier for new users to get some ideas without having to sift through countless posts with information that may be confusing to new scripters.

Matt Williamson

#6 Post by Matt Williamson » 22 Jan 2016 09:26

I think links to the best scripts and a description would be good but not the whole scripts.

Squashman
Expert

#7 Post by Squashman » 22 Jan 2016 09:29

creativescripter wrote:As much as I appreciate everyone's thoughts, and I do agree that there are awesome scripts in every forum, I think foxidrive is right. Having the scripts all posted here bundled together will make it easier for new users to get some ideas without having to sift through countless posts with information that may be confusing to new scripters.

I do not think Foxidrive was agreeing with you.
foxidrive wrote:Just adding here that discussion about the individual scripts is useful in the thread with that script - it keeps it nicely bundled for people to read.

Really. Let me put it another way. Lets just say we allow this. Next thing you know we got two dozen scripts in this thread and it ends up 100 pages long and questions and responses are strewn out over these 100 pages. In the meantime someone comes along and is too lazy to search all 100 pages about one of the two dozen scripts and asks a question that was asked and already answered on page 63.

Would it not be easier to find the answer to your question for a particular script when all the information for that script is in one forum topic?

ShadowThief
Expert

#8 Post by ShadowThief » 22 Jan 2016 13:05

creativescripter wrote:Having the scripts all posted here bundled together will make it easier for new users to get some ideas without having to sift through countless posts with information that may be confusing to new scripters.

Several of the scripts will be confusing without the contextual, informative posts. Heck, I still don't totally understand how SNAKE.bat works.

thefeduke

#9 Post by thefeduke » 22 Jan 2016 13:59

Matt Williamson wrote:I think links to the best scripts and a description would be good but not the whole scripts.
I am still discovering gems of information in long dormant topics that I could not find or refind if I looked for them.
I have not mastered refining searches on guesses for words chosen by others, getting very little or way too many.

To be of use there could be minimum and voluntary content such as a pointer to a post and a brief description of the area of interest or subject of an example: a sort of, you can see examples of this kind subject matter at such-and-such a location.

Questions about the referenced content could be posted at the referenced topic and avoided within the sharing topic. I am not sure how the freedom to post reacts to discouragement of threads that dilute the content. How about developing and continuing to update some guidelines here for the first post of a new sharing topic containing a backward pointer to this discussion topic for continued threads about sharing, how it's going, its usefulness and improvements?

I wonder if it might languish, be useful or take a bad turn.

John A.

Squashman
Expert

#10 Post by Squashman » 22 Jan 2016 14:09

thefeduke wrote:I am still discovering gems of information in long dormant topics that I could not find or refind if I looked for them.
I have not mastered refining searches on guesses for words chosen by others, getting very little or way too many.

The search function on the forums is not the greatest. I usually use Google to search the forums.

Code: Select all

search terms site:dostips.com

If I still can't find it, I usually just start a topic asking everyone what I am looking for and somebody usually finds it for me. Then I just delete the topic after.

Aacini
Expert

#11 Post by Aacini » 22 Jan 2016 14:17

I think that a sticky non-editable topic that remain at beginning of the forum comprised of a brief description of each one of the linked topics would be useful, indeed. The topics could be divided by theme: animation/games, tricks, tools, etc.

What I don't know is who will be on charge of this job, that is not an easy task! Perhaps the right person would be the first one interested on this matter: the OP :!: :roll:

Antonio

Squashman
Expert

#12 Post by Squashman » 22 Jan 2016 14:28

Aacini wrote:I think that a sticky non-editable topic that remain at beginning of the forum comprised of a brief description of each one of the linked topics would be useful, indeed. The topics could be divided by theme: animation/games, tricks, tools, etc.

What I don't know is who will be on charge of this job, that is not an easy task! Perhaps the right person would be the first one interested on this matter: the OP :!: :roll:

Antonio

We would have to ask Peter to make the topic sticky. The moderators do not have authority to do that. But we can make a topic non-editable by closing the thread. So the person updating the topic would have to be a moderator.