triggering the running of a macro

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

Sebastian42

triggering the running of a macro

#1 Post by Sebastian42 » 06 Nov 2021 23:02

I wanted to automate a process on some files that MP3Tag can perform. The developers says that automation is available within that program, and I have seen that the Actions menu appears to offer that, but I have been unable to make it work for me. So I have looked for alternatives. I would normally use Macro Express for such automation, but have been unable to get Macro Express to do more than the first step of opening MP3Tag. Then I discovered MacroRecorder and was able to write in it, the macro that does the job I want. However, when I used a batch file to launch that macro by a mere mouse click, what I achieved was the opening of MacroRecorder with that macro primed to run, but I have no idea how to get that running started by means of the batch file. Can anyone help me ?

aGerman
Expert

Re: triggering the running of a macro

#2 Post by aGerman » 07 Nov 2021 04:40

I don't know anything about MP3Tag. It seems to be a tool with graphical user interface though. Batch is unable to interact with a GUI. So, if MP3Tag doesn't provide a command line interface (that is, it should be controlled by command line options when the process is created) then you will be likely out of luck to do anything in a Batch script.

Have a look at utilities which are explicitly controlled from within the command line. I've read about exiftool, even though I've never used it myself.

Steffen

Sebastian42

#3 Post by Sebastian42 » 07 Nov 2021 05:15

Thanks for your reply. I'll look at exiftool, or persevere with the automation that Mp3Tag is supposed to provide....

Squashman
Expert

#4 Post by Squashman » 07 Nov 2021 13:45

Sebastian42 wrote:
07 Nov 2021 05:15
persevere with the automation that Mp3Tag is supposed to provide....
What exactly do you mean by this? The documentation for the MP3tag tool provides no guarantee or assumptions that it can be automated

Sebastian42

#5 Post by Sebastian42 » 07 Nov 2021 16:43

I wrote to the forum for MP3Tag and was told that the ACTIONS menu would solve my problem, but was not given the detailed steps. I investigated ACTIONS and saw the claim written in its 'documentation', but that is as far as it went.

I have done much work in Macro Express and consulted with their developers, because there is no reason obvious to me why it would fail with MP3Tag, yet neither they not I could get beyond it opening the program, whereas MacroRecord could.

It is my desire to do the process from a mere mouse click that leads me to try and use a batch file - but I don't know how to make a batch file cause a macro to RUN , as distinct from OPEN; however once it is open, it is easy enough to click the mouse to run the macro.