I have some suggestions for dostips!

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

Jedininja

I have some suggestions for dostips!

#1 Post by Jedininja » 15 Jan 2022 04:08

hi, i have some ideas for the dostips... and no place to state them!!

-Off topic forum for posts like 3word story's, sharing of websites and general bantering!
-A Larger Profile description, 500 characters is only 2 times better than twitter, nuff said.
-A place on the profile to showcase code and or programs, can be moderated?
-Highlighter for code snip in posts, i have come to very much like my highlighter, though i understand the value of plain b/w text in the context of dostips.
-an sftp method accessing dostips from a terminal or cmd window including a web search!
-community projects forum, things that are needed that can be used educationally and collaboratively!? like a sftp access bbs feed of dostips!?!?!?
-a place to post community completed programs! (things dostips did)

also, i support the notion of bash here, as unix is one of those things people should dabble around with.

aGerman
Expert

Re: I have some suggestions for dostips!

#2 Post by aGerman » 15 Jan 2022 07:00

I'm not an admin of this forum. So, I can just tell my opinion, what I know from the past, and what I guess why things are like they are.

DosTips is a specialized forum. We discuss Windows-Batch related topics which makes this forum unique and is the reason why it stands out from the crowd. And this is also what the host name states. There are platforms like Twitter or Facebook which are made to share general chatter. We don't need it here, it would diminish the value of this site, and, honestly, I would immediately disappear if we would start discussing about politics, VIPs, or Corona vaccination. The net is full of it.

There has been a survey a few years ago whether or not forum users would like to see PowerShell and Bash here. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8046 Obviously the forum owner decided to not go for it for the time being.

I support your proposal to have syntax highlighting. IIRC the admin already fiddled with that once upon the time. I don't remember what hinders to implement it, though.

Along with all these proposals also keep in mind that we don't have advertising on this website (only the one that points to the same helpful book for many years). The forum owner earns no red penny. It incurs costs. Any update of the forum is just an additional voluntary service which costs his time and likely also his money.

Steffen

ShadowThief
Expert

#3 Post by ShadowThief » 15 Jan 2022 10:07

This is more of a place for experts to talk to other experts about high-level batch concepts and understand more about how the interpreter works. If you want an engaging community, go to Reddit or Discord.

I'll second a desire for syntax highlighting. (I'd also request markdown support, but I know that doesn't exist because of phpbb limitations.)

Jedininja

#4 Post by Jedininja » 16 Jan 2022 19:19

aGerman wrote:
15 Jan 2022 07:00

DosTips is a specialized forum. We discuss Windows-Batch related topics which makes this forum unique and is the reason why it stands out from the crowd. And this is also what the host name states. There are platforms like Twitter or Facebook which are made to share general chatter. We don't need it here, it would diminish the value of this site, and, honestly, I would immediately disappear if we would start discussing about politics, VIPs, or Corona vaccination. The net is full of it.
i get that, i rater enjoy all the mindless bantering though. ever since irc networks fell there has been no good place to chat and meet people that aren't trolling boarder line cyber-terrorists..
There has been a survey a few years ago whether or not forum users would like to see PowerShell and Bash here. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8046 Obviously the forum owner decided to not go for it for the time being.
This is why i had mentioned it! Powershell is very new to me, but it does do a lot of cool stuff. my current favorite application of ps being:

::list port ranges

Code: Select all

wmic port get startingaddress, endingaddress
:: this will block outgoing ports 30000 - 65535. i need this for an anti-trojen script I'm currently making which will, hopefully, block all the default ports that common trogen scripts use as well as, hopefully, list the current apps using the ports! *cross fingers*

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Conn hotfix" localport=30000-65535 dir=out action=block protocol=TCP
change "dir=out" to "dir=in" to block incoming ports and change "protocol=TCP" to "protocol=UDP" to block UDP ports.
Along with all these proposals also keep in mind that we don't have advertising on this website (only the one that points to the same helpful book for many years). The forum owner earns no red penny. It incurs costs. Any update of the forum is just an additional voluntary service which costs his time and likely also his money.
wow, i had figured that the IT's behind this site were microsoft employees or something. perhaps a listing on a crowdfunding website and a few emails to Microsoft would get some community support?

https://www.ko-fi.com/
https://www.buymeacoffee.com/
https://www.kickstarter.com/
https://www.patreon.com/
https://www.indiegogo.com/

I like this site along with Stackoverflow and github because there is always an answer to a question, or a string that points me in a relevant direction. I am very much new to programming but i grew up in the environment and I'm usually trying to mod a video game when doing so. So i greatly appreciate all the outwardly advice everyone gives, as i understand all the espionage that plagues the programmers.

P.s. i would also like a link for github in the profile!
Last edited by Jedininja on 16 Jan 2022 19:38, edited 1 time in total.

Jedininja

#5 Post by Jedininja » 16 Jan 2022 19:31

ShadowThief wrote:
15 Jan 2022 10:07
This is more of a place for experts to talk to other experts about high-level batch concepts and understand more about how the interpreter works. If you want an engaging community, go to Reddit or Discord.
High level is right, i don't really understand all the expanded or extended variables everyone uses. i have avoided it for backwards compatibility related reasons, as i would like my scripts to work on windows 3x 9x and dosx. which iv more recently come to realize was more related to the commands available at the time and how they were implemented, at the time.

i figure after i get the "for" command down all the expanded and extended variables will follow, but for now i just make my own useing the "Set" command.
I'll second a desire for syntax highlighting. (I'd also request markdown support, but I know that doesn't exist because of phpbb limitations.)
im note sure what a markdown is? and i wonder if using pre-made highlighter scripts is acceptable to admin? could be a communal project! :)

Squashman
Expert

#6 Post by Squashman » 16 Jan 2022 22:26

Jedininja wrote:
16 Jan 2022 19:19
This is why i had mentioned it! Powershell is very new to me, but it does do a lot of cool stuff. my current favorite application of ps being:

::list port ranges

wmic port get startingaddress, endingaddress
:: this will block outgoing ports 30000 - 65535. i need this for an anti-trojen script I'm currently making which will, hopefully, block all the default ports that common trogen scripts use as well as, hopefully, list the current apps using the ports! *cross fingers*

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Conn hotfix" localport=30000-65535 dir=out action=block protocol=TCP
change "dir=out" to "dir=in" to block incoming ports and change "protocol=TCP" to "protocol=UDP" to block UDP ports.
This is not Powershell. You are just executing two known programs on Windows

Jedininja

#7 Post by Jedininja » 16 Jan 2022 23:05

[/quote]
This is not Powershell. You are just executing two known programs on Windows
[/quote]

i find this unsettling sir... Do you know if Netsh and Wmic are native to windows 10 at all?

ShadowThief
Expert

#8 Post by ShadowThief » 16 Jan 2022 23:22

Yes, both are located in System32.