The final decider-Linux/Unix or Windows

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

The final decider-Windows or Linux/Unix.

Poll ended at 14 Dec 2011 18:55

Linux/Unix
No votes
Windows
No votes

Total votes: 0

Rileyh

The final decider-Linux/Unix or Windows

#1 Post by Rileyh » 30 Nov 2011 18:55

This is a continuation of the debate on the topic "Could we have a bash section?".
I feel that this should be settled, because it seems we have some "traitors" to Windows/DOS who use Linux.
This is a batch forum, and batch forums are for people who use DOS batch or Windows batch, not God-forsaken bash.

So answer the poll, and see how many "traitors" we have on our forum.

Regards,
Rileyh, faithful Windows User.

phillid

Re: The final decider-Linux/Unix or Windows

#2 Post by phillid » 04 Dec 2011 03:27

The polls don't work on this forum; I vote Linux. While I don't mind batch at all, it's still heavily based on bash.

Rileyh

#3 Post by Rileyh » 04 Dec 2011 03:48

TO ALL WOULD-BE VOTERS: THE POLL DOES NOT WORK, JUST POST A REPLY AND STATE YOUR VOTE

orange_batch
Expert

#4 Post by orange_batch » 04 Dec 2011 04:00

lol what's the point in outing people? This is a DOS website/forum, it'll stay that way no matter what anybody says, unless it's the admin.

aGerman
Expert

#5 Post by aGerman » 04 Dec 2011 05:56

In August I told the admin that polls don't work. He told me that he will have a look at it.

Back to the topic.
See that picture and think about it :wink:

The forum owner however knows that some people want to have some more subforums. It's not only bash. There are a lot of other programming languages. Latest it's not a question of Windows or Linux :!: :lol:

But I agree with orange_batch. The name of the page is "DosTips" which is IMHO confusing enough since we are talking about Windows Batch :wink:

Regards
aGerman

orange_batch
Expert

#6 Post by orange_batch » 04 Dec 2011 16:12

More specifically, Windows Command Prompt batch scripting. :roll:

I don't know if it needs its own sub-forum, but like third-party tools, VBScript and WMI can lend a big hand to batch scripting, thus making them relevant.

PS: Windows, one word, games. 8)

Ed Dyreen
Expert

#7 Post by Ed Dyreen » 04 Dec 2011 16:44

orange_batch wrote:... VBScript and WMI can lend a big hand to batch scripting, thus making them relevant.
This can all be easily solved http://www.tips.com, that domain name is free :D

phillid

#8 Post by phillid » 26 Dec 2011 02:58

I agree with Ed Dyreen on the tips.com proposition. That would allow subdomains like:

dos.tips.com
batch.tips.com
bash.tips.com

which are clearly about DOS tips, Batch tips and Bash tips respectively.

It keeps the forums separated and everyone in their repective zone(s) and the admin is still just paying for one domain (tips.com). This way, everyone can have a forum with a URL that makes sense, instead of, for example, a bash forum being under dostips.com.

I think it's the best way to keep everyone happy, if we will be going down the road of setting up multiple forums for different programming and scripting languages.

Cheers for reading what's probably my longest post ever :D

--Phillid

Squashman
Expert

#9 Post by Squashman » 26 Dec 2011 21:41

One reason I joined this forum just a few days ago was because it is batch centric. I thought I knew a lot about batch scripting when I joined but now I am blown away by some of the tricks people do to get things done with batch scripts. I learn something new here every time I visit.

I used to do a lot of bash scripting years ago when I was a Linux server admin but I like this site the way it is.

Yeah technically the term dos tips isn't the technologically correct term of what this forum is about but it is where it originated from. That is where it roots are. Most people I know who are not very computer savy will refer to them as DOS batch files because when a script executes it looks like a dos shell.

Just my two cents.