SET Command

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

quantumlight

SET Command

#1 Post by quantumlight » 19 Dec 2011 18:32

Hi, I am relatively new to batch scripting. I was looking into the batch script to FTP only new files found on this website.

For /F "Delims=" %%A In ('"Ftp -v -i -s:"%temp%\%~n0.ftp"|Findstr %FindStrArgs%"') Do (
Call Set "FileList=%%FileList%% "%%A""
)"

I came across the command above.

How should I be reading ('"Ftp -v -i -s:"%temp%\%~n0.ftp"|Findstr %FindStrArgs%"') and Call Set "FileList=%%FileList%% "%%A""?

Does it open child command window and run the ftp script which lists the files in the folder and then using Findstr to find all files ending in ".txt" and sends that as output to the for loop which iterate through the output of the two commands adding it to a Filelist. FindStrArgs is /E /C:".txt".

Does Call Set "FileList=%%FileList%% "%%A"" act as append to FileList, if so, how does that work?

Thanks

orange_batch
Expert

Re: SET Command

#2 Post by orange_batch » 20 Dec 2011 07:42

Yeah you got it right.

First loop example:

Code: Select all

expands to

Set "FileList=%FileList% "a_file.txt""

expands to

Set "FileList= "a_file.txt""

Second loop:

expands to

Set "FileList=%FileList% "b_file.txt""

expands to

Set "FileList= "a_file.txt" "b_file.txt""

And so on...

I don't like the placement of quotation marks though, they are improper. Use this so the contents of %%A aren't exposed to the command interpreter:

Call Set FileList=%%FileList%% "%%A"

dbenham
Expert

#3 Post by dbenham » 20 Dec 2011 08:05

orange_batch showed how the SET works, but you might be confused as to why it was done that way.

Normal %var% expansion takes place at parse time, and everything within the for loop is parsed at once. So even though the value of FileList changes, the expansion of %FileList% remains constant. Using the CALL SET with double percents gets the expansion out of the FOR loop context, where it does get parsed again.

An alternate and more efficient way to get this to work is to use delayed expansion.

setlocal enableDelayedExpansion
For /F "Delims=" %%A In ('"Ftp -v -i -s:"%temp%\%~n0.ftp"|Findstr %FindStrArgs%"') Do (
  set "FileList=!FileList! %%A"
)"
Instead of expansing %FileList% once at parse time, !FileList! is expanded at execution time, once for each iteration of the loop.

orange_batch wrote:I don't like the placement of quotation marks though, they are improper. Use this so the contents of %%A aren't exposed to the command interpreter:

Call Set FileList=%%FileList%% "%%A"
(the remainder has been edited in response to orange-batch comments)
What orange_batch is referring to are special characters like & and ^ (both of which are legal in file names) have special significance to the batch parser. If you want the characters to be treated as literals then you must either quote them or escape them. For example "&" or ^&.

The following is generally good for building a list without quotes in the value. But for a list of filenames, orange_batch's suggestion is better

call set "FileList=%%FileList%% %%A"

Dave Benham
Last edited by dbenham on 20 Dec 2011 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

orange_batch
Expert

#4 Post by orange_batch » 20 Dec 2011 09:03

But Dave, if all %%A are quoted, text within FileList is never exposed anyway.

These repeated explanations of delayed expansion are becoming tiring huh, we should just have a thread to link to. :P

dbenham
Expert

#5 Post by dbenham » 20 Dec 2011 09:35

orange_batch wrote:But Dave, if all %%A are quoted, text within FileList is never exposed anyway.
Duh :roll: I momentarily lost my mind.

Generally I like unquoted values, but your way is definitely much better when building a list of files. The quotes might be needed to differentiate between space delimiters and space in a file name.

orange_batch wrote:These repeated explanations of delayed expansion are becoming tiring huh, we should just have a thread to link to. :P
We desperately need some Wiki style pages, but I think that has been discussed already and did not get very far. Epic-ish Idea

It's a shame, because collectively we have a tremendous body of knowledge that could be put to good use if we could only collect, format and index it in a sensible way.

!k
Expert

#6 Post by !k » 20 Dec 2011 14:59

del
Last edited by !k on 21 Dec 2011 08:54, edited 1 time in total.

quantumlight

#7 Post by quantumlight » 20 Dec 2011 18:59

Thanks!

Just have one more question: why is it call set and not just set?

The same occurs in the section of code following

for /f "tokens=1,* delims=]" %%A in ('find /n /v "" "%src%"') do (
if /i "%%B"=="%emk%" set "bExtr="&set "bSubs="
if defined bExtr if defined bSubs (call echo.%%B) ELSE (echo.%%B)
if /i "%%B"=="%bmk%" set "bExtr=Y"
if /i "%%B"=="%bmk%:S" set "bExtr=Y"&set "bSubs=Y"
)
EXIT /b

there is call echo and echo. In the above code I don't understand the point of having two flags unless call echo and echo performs two different functions.

The above code in ftp only new files functions to extract a section of ftp text in a batch script so that it can be run separately as .ftp.

dbenham
Expert

#8 Post by dbenham » 20 Dec 2011 20:10

Re-read my first post, and then read orange-batch's. We already tried to explain why it is written the way it is, and how it works.