Moving backed-up files to a folder named by date.

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

ghostcorps

Moving backed-up files to a folder named by date.

#1 Post by ghostcorps » 18 Nov 2008 19:33

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to make a simple batch script to create database backups and move then into a folder named by date, and a sub folder by time.

This is what I have so far:

Code: Select all

@echo off

@echo Backing Up Server1
mysqldump -A -Q -R -c -e --lock-tables=FALSE -uXXXX -pXXXX -hX.X.X.1 > c:\backup\01.sql

@echo Backing Up Server2
mysqldump -A -Q -R -c -e --lock-tables=FALSE -uXXXX -pXXXX -hX.X.X.2  > c:\backup\02.sql

@echo Backing Up Server3
mysqldump -A -Q -R -c -e --lock-tables=FALSE-uXXXX -pXXXX -hX.X.X.3  > c:\backup\03.sql

set folderdate=%date:~7,2%-%date:~4,2%-%date:~10,4%
mkdir c:\backup\%folderdate%
set foldertime=%time:~0,2%-%time:~3,2%
mkdir c:\backup\%folderdate%\%foldertime%
move c:\backup\*.sql c:\backup\%folderdate%\%foldertime%\

I have this scheduled to run every 12hours from 8PM. However, while the batch that runs at 8PM is successful, the 8AM files remain unmoved. In fact in the AM, the 'foldertime' folder is created outside the 'folderdate' folder and sites next to the files that have been created but not moved.

And yet, at 8Pm everything works like a charm. Presumably this has to do with using 24hour time, as the folders are names in 24hr, while XP uses AM/PM in the 'modified' column. I do not see any logic that would cause this to happen the way it does, but I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

thanks

=^_^=

DosItHelp
Expert

#2 Post by DosItHelp » 23 Nov 2008 01:37

ghostcorps,

When using %time:~0,2% you will have a leading space in the hours before 10am. This space confuses the commands that follow because a space serves as argument separator. One way to avoid this problem is to wrap your directory name in quotes, i.e.:

mkdir "c:\backup\%folderdate%\%foldertime%"
move "c:\backup\*.sql" "c:\backup\%folderdate%\%foldertime%\"

DosItHelp? :wink:

Jedininja

Re: Moving backed-up files to a folder named by date.

#3 Post by Jedininja » 14 Jan 2022 05:52

will only work within the day

md c:\temp\temper%date:~-4,4%%date:~-7,2%%date:~0,2%
xcopy /e /i /q /-y drive\path\ c:\temp\temper%date:~-4,4%%date:~-7,2%%date:~0,2%

i got this line

%date:~-4,4%%date:~-7,2%%date:~0,2%
from microsoft!

from what i understand the numeric values determine the position and leanth of the variables in the date, however it is temperamental and i do not fully understand it. simply add it to a file or folder name.

i would like to point out that it is hard to target a folder dated with this string from program!

also, i have never seen someone actually make this string before.. it saved the world once! (y2k)

atfon

Re: Moving backed-up files to a folder named by date.

#4 Post by atfon » 14 Jan 2022 07:03

The %date% and %time% variables are going to be locale and language specific. For reliability across systems, it is better to use WMIC. You can find several posts on this forum. Here is one example from Steffan (aGerman):

viewtopic.php?t=9348#p60703