Any interest in batch networking applications?

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

phillid

Any interest in batch networking applications?

#1 Post by phillid » 09 Oct 2012 05:51

I know that some people out there are a bit batch nutty, and I was just wondering if anyone would have any interest in some tiny C programs that allow you to send data over TCP networking sockets from the command line (or within batch) very easily, for example a simple client may send some data to http://www.example.com on port 5466 by using 'send http://www.example.com:5466 "hello"'. A batch server may issue the command 'wait 4242' to wait for connections on port 4242. The command may then return when an incoming connection is detected and the server may then issue other commands to send data to and receive data from the client....

The reason for this idea is that I've recently written a networking sockets library for C which aims to keep things really simple for programmers and it occurred to me that some people on the forum may be interested in a really simple way of making batch servers and clients... Thought I may as well drop in here and ask you guys..

Note, I haven't actually written these programs, I am just seeing how much interest there is before I go spending an evening this week stressing myself to get a stable version released...

Please reply with your thoughts and ideas on these programs :)

Cheers
Phillid
Last edited by phillid on 09 Oct 2012 06:19, edited 1 time in total.

foxidrive
Expert

Re: Any interest in batch networking applications?

#2 Post by foxidrive » 09 Oct 2012 06:05

Have you written a scriptable telnet clone? :)

There is one from long ago - it creates a session window though.

Telnet Scripting Tool v.1.0
by Albert Yale

phillid

Re: Any interest in batch networking applications?

#3 Post by phillid » 09 Oct 2012 06:13

Thanks for that, I'm sure I'll find a use for it indeed! :) It seems like a similar concept but as you said, it opens a windowed session... plus my one was never going to support scripting....

Is anyone awear of a tool which I'd end up exactly cloing if I went ahead with my plans of making a command-line TCP connection-y send-y receive-y tool?

Cheers :)
Phillid