Downloading and installing critical and important updates

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

Rydell

Downloading and installing critical and important updates

#1 Post by Rydell » 02 May 2013 17:49

I'd like to implement something into a batch file I'm making that downloads and installs critical and important updates to the pc it's ran on. If it needs to restart for these updates, it would do that as well. I've read some posts (and googled) about this but couldn't find the answer, or read that it wasn't possible. Is there a Windows Service of some sort that will communicate via prompt with updates? I found this:

net stop wuauserv
REG DELETE "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v LastWaitTimeout /f
REG DELETE "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v DetectionStartTime /f
Reg Delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /v NextDetectionTime /f
net start wuauserv
wuauclt /detectnow

But testing it out on prompt I get no response, though prompt does not error it out. wuauserv /? nor wuauclt /? gives me anything. It also seems to go a bit to far messing with the registry.

abc0502

Re: Downloading and installing critical and important update

#2 Post by abc0502 » 03 May 2013 03:07

Do you mean windows update? I think windows has this feature. (windows 7)

Rydell

#3 Post by Rydell » 04 May 2013 17:31

Aye, Windows Update. How would I implement it into a batch?

abc0502

#4 Post by abc0502 » 05 May 2013 06:48

why you do that, the windows should has this feature ?
beside, i have no idea how to find the update or how to know that it is important or not, maybe some one else knows something.

Rydell

#6 Post by Rydell » 06 May 2013 19:16

It's going to be a part of a batch file that does maintenance on the computer. I'm going to give it to family and friends... much easier than trying to walk them through where to point and click. But it's also going to do other things. It would just be nice to have the ability to update too.