READ/WRITE binary files

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

penpen
Expert

Re: READ/WRITE binary files

#31 Post by penpen » 14 Feb 2014 19:17

Last time i'd tried to execute a com file on Windows 7 i got an error message like that (only if i remember right):
This version of the file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or an x64 (64-bit) version of the program

I haven't tried it yet, but i always thought, that you only have to create a 64 bit version of that asm program.

If your assembler cannot create them you may use opcodes directly:
Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manual
Combined Volumes 2A, 2B, and 2C: Instruction Set Reference, A-Z
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/architectures-software-developer-manuals.html
No guarantees, but i really hope this works.

penpen

carlos
Expert

Re: READ/WRITE binary files

#32 Post by carlos » 14 Feb 2014 19:41

@penpen:
I revisited the code.
It is a dos program, because dos programs are 16 bits, it will not work on 64 bits windows systems where 16 bit support was removed.

It can be used only if the windows is not 64 bit.

I post it as reference for @einstein1969 in this post, because many methods for write binary was mentions. And also, thinking in add again compatibility to windows nt in my bhx program, because makecab is not present in windows nt and debug scripts are slow. And also, because I always wanted programming something in dos assembly (a .com)