How to look up computer model from BIOS

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

VermicidE

How to look up computer model from BIOS

#1 Post by VermicidE » 06 Aug 2009 13:43

Hi, I have a bootable USB hard drive and want to be able to automatically upload a Ghost image onto a laptop or desktop using a dos script. Since I have many different models I need to tell which computer model it is in order to use the right image file. The only way to do this is for the script to look up the computer model name listed in BIOS and based on that run the Ghost file path corresponding to the computer model where it would automatically start imaging the computer.

Please let me know if it is possible to retrieve BIOS information about the computer through the script.

Regards;
Rob

dragovian

#2 Post by dragovian » 08 Aug 2009 04:31

hey, i don't know if this is what you want, but one of the ways to get information bout the installed bios version is by using the wmic

open cmd and type in "wmic bios get /format:list >> %userprofile%\desktop\biosData.txt"

this will write the data this command returns into a txtfile on your desktop :).

enjoy

warning : if you're not familiar with the wmic don't try and change values, read about the stuff you want to change first, wmic is a vital part of windows management.