Change the location of the all programs folder in a batch

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

Lateralus138

Change the location of the all programs folder in a batch

#1 Post by Lateralus138 » 17 Aug 2009 14:07

Hello all, I have a problem with my All Programs not displaying in my Start Menu in Windows 7 as alot of people are having problems with and no one has a solution that has worked for me.

I have found a temporary solution for myself, but I have to do it each time I start my computer up. What I do is go into the Start Menu folder and create a new folder called either Programs or Programs2 depending on which folder I used at last boot and then I right click on the old Prgrams folder go to Location tab and press move and then browse for the new programs folder I made and set that as the location. I then have a new sub menu in the Start Menu>All Programs menu that has all of my programs.

I can not just copy and paste, move or even xcopy all the files to the new folder because then it doesn't display all of my programs, I have found that it will only show all of them if you move 9 folders at a time and that is to much work.

I can not change the registry value for the value for the location as it doesn't change it unless I reboot and then the process would just have to be repeated and never work.

What I want to do is make a batch (eventually executable) that searches for the old folder and if exists makes the new folder and then changes the file location the way I explained above, not through changing the registry value.

When changing the location by the right click>location it moves all of my folders and then properly displays them so I would like to know if there is a way to do the same thing for the same results with the batch.

Here us my current code:

Code: Select all

@echo off
title Re-route All Programs
color F4
echo Re-routing location of All Programs folder for the All Programs not displaying in the Start Menu bug....
if exist %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\"Start Menu"\Programs goto p2
if not exist %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\"Start Menu"\Programs goto p1
:p2
mkdir %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\"Start Menu"\Programs2
goto end
:p1
mkdir %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\"Start Menu"\Programs
goto end
:end

After making the directory I then need to change the file location in that way before I goto end.

Lateralus138

#2 Post by Lateralus138 » 03 Sep 2009 18:20

Please help someone, this seems like such a simple case.