revamped forum

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

admin
Site Admin

Re: revamped forum

#31 Post by admin » 29 Nov 2017 13:39

Change never comes without disruption :).

If you guys find a supported style you like, I can add it. As Steffen mentioned, the previous style is not supported in the new phpbb version, yet, it may still come later.
Styles are always a major hustle when upgrading the forum, but adding one or two more styles should be ok.

Peter

Squashman
Expert

#32 Post by Squashman » 29 Nov 2017 13:58

admin wrote:
29 Nov 2017 13:39
Change never comes without disruption :).

If you guys find a supported style you like, I can add it. As Steffen mentioned, the previous style is not supported in the new phpbb version, yet, it may still come later.
Styles are always a major hustle when upgrading the forum, but adding one or two more styles should be ok.

Peter
If you change the style make sure it still looks good with mobile. I am happy with the new mobile look.

Aacini
Expert

#33 Post by Aacini » 29 Nov 2017 20:11

I just discovered a small detail related to the revamped forum: I originally entered my Location as "México City, México"; however, in the revamped forum it was displayed as: "México City, México". I edited my profile and my Location is displayed correctly again, but I suppose that the same problem may happen in other non-English characters used by other users...

Antonio

aGerman
Expert

#34 Post by aGerman » 30 Nov 2017 02:03

The same happened to non-ASCII in the old forum posts. I already informed Peter.

BTW Do you have any difficulties using Google Chrome? E.g. problems to log in or to submit a post?

Steffen

admin
Site Admin

#35 Post by admin » 30 Nov 2017 14:22

Some good news on non-ASCII characters - those are correctly in the database, so nothing got lost, it's simply an issue with the visualization which i anticipate to have fixed soon.

Peter

aGerman
Expert

#36 Post by aGerman » 30 Nov 2017 15:19

Great :D Lost data would have been much worse compared to a different forum style that I'll quickly get used to.

Steffen

catalinnc

#37 Post by catalinnc » 03 Dec 2017 14:05

i don't like forum changes...

the worst enemy of "good" is "better"...

as long as is works don't improve it! (for sure you will ruin it)...
_

Sponge Belly

#38 Post by Sponge Belly » 06 Dec 2017 15:21

Hi All,

I second Catalinnc’s sentiments!

I’m not happy with this forum’s new style.

I went through the list of styles provided by Steffen. They may look different on the surface, but they’re all the same underneath. By which I mean, they all use lists instead of tables. View the HTML source to see what I mean.

Tables work much better for me because I can navigate columns vertically and rows horizontally. With lists, I have to plod through… every… single… item.

Please find me a style that uses tables.

- SB

admin
Site Admin

#39 Post by admin » 07 Dec 2017 22:37

As y'all may agree DosTips is not known for frequent changes. Since 2005 this is only the 2nd major forum update.
Of course I do understand that any change causes upsets - this one was long overdue for security and streamlining reasons, also making future forum maintenance a bit easier for me.

Hey Sponge Belly,

Help me understanding your request about tables ok?
The way I understand it, the basic forum software outputs html lists and the rest is CSS styling. For that reason I believe a Style will never change the HTML DOM from list to table, but a style can change the visualization of a list to appear being a table. Again if you find a Style you like, let me know.

Peter