The ghostmachine4 & isacmahad Debate thread

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

isacmahad

The ghostmachine4 & isacmahad Debate thread

#1 Post by isacmahad » 03 Nov 2009 03:04

We can do our evil bidding here.

ghostmachine4 wrote:who cares!! people like you have weird thinking.

Yeah and what of it its my weird train of thought that codes the wheel for normal thinking people like you to drive on.
ghostmachine4 wrote:So if its not native, then it can't be used??

I never said that, I was only stating that downloaded tools would be unnecessary for accomplishing the task.
ghostmachine4 wrote:Please, we are living in the 21st century and computing/sysadmin is not like decades ago.

Who the hell cares about the 21st century??, than maybe we should just do away with the batch script once and for all. Its not to make things easier its the fun and challenge of it, like atari. I don't care if something else with 3d graphics so real I could swear they were real is there. I still enjoy my old school ethics.

ghostmachine4

Re: The ghostmachine4 & isacmahad Debate thread

#2 Post by ghostmachine4 » 03 Nov 2009 03:47

Yeah and what of it its my weird train of thought that codes the wheel for normal thinking people like you to drive on.

i wouldn't even want to look at or maintain the batch code. I can do this with just one line and understand what's going on.

I never said that, I was only stating that downloaded tools would be unnecessary for accomplishing the task.

the way that you write implies that you are. For what its worth, i did not see you mentioning "would be unnecessary for accomplishing the task." in your previous replies. downloading tools might not be necessary, but if its possible to, it can make your life easier.
Who the hell cares about the 21st century??,

The real world.
than maybe we should just do away with the batch script once and for all.

yes, go ahead. its ugly and hard to read.
Its not to make things easier its the fun and challenge of it, like atari.

you can have your fun, its none of my business. After all, my reply is for the original thread poster, not you. If you are not happy with the way i reply, just ignore my posts.

isacmahad

#3 Post by isacmahad » 03 Nov 2009 04:27

i wouldn't even want to look at or maintain the batch code.
I did not mean just batch it is a general formality. I code in many other languages. I am fully aware that there are more useful tools and languages out there for accomplishing the mundane everyday task, especially that of a ... cough cough "SYSADMIN".
The real world.
I will make sure to get on the bus with the rest of them.
yes, go ahead. its ugly and hard to read.
Uhhh, would you like to explain to me than what the hell you think vbscript is??
After all, my reply is for the original thread poster, not you.
Which is why this thread now exist.

ghostmachine4

#4 Post by ghostmachine4 » 03 Nov 2009 04:57

Uhhh, would you like to explain to me than what the hell you think vbscript is??

what the hell are you talking about? do you mean to say that this:

Code: Select all

call :split "abcdefXYZghijXYZklmnop" "XYZ" PrefixVar PostfixVar
echo '%PrefixVar%' '%PostfixVar%'
goto :eof

::::::::::::::
:split <string> <delim> <prefixResultVar> <postfixResultVar>
:::: Splits the <string> at the first <delim> into <prefix> and <postfix>
rem setlocal enabledelayedexpansion
setlocal
set "var=%~1"
call set "split_prefix=%%var:%~2=&::%%"
call set "split_postfix=%%var:*%~2=%%"
(
   endlocal
   set %~3=%split_prefix%
   set %~4=%split_postfix%
   goto :eof
)

is more readable and maintainable than this, for example?

s = split("abcdefXYZghijXYZklmnop", "XYZ" )

the above batch , though is able to split on first XYZ, but that's it. extra code is needed to split as much XYZ as possible, which with vbscript's split(), is done with one statement and give it to a beginner, i am sure they will roughly know what "split" is. compared to cmd.exe's ugly syntax of %'s and ~'s, vbscript's syntax is way more readable and understandable.

avery_larry
Expert

#5 Post by avery_larry » 03 Nov 2009 12:59

Oh just ignore ghost. He has really good alternatives, but has difficulty understanding that this is "dostips.com", not "gawk-for-windowstips.com" or "vbscripttips.com". A percentage of posters have appreciated his solutions -- whether vbscript or gawk-for-windows, but most people get here and ask questions because they want something that will be portable to almost any recent flavor of windows without having to add or install anything, resource kits included. Of course, vbscript is natively supported (mostly), but it seems like most people, if they wanted vbscript, would have found themselves a different website to post questions in.

He's smart, and tries to be helpful. I just hope he isn't as mean as he seems with some of his posts.

isacmahad

#6 Post by isacmahad » 03 Nov 2009 13:36

Yes in certain cases this is true however not all accross the board.
Lets take a look at this example shall we.

Option Explicit
Dim objFS, objFolder
Dim strDir
strDir = "c:\Test"
Set objFS = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set objFolder = objFS.CreateFolder(strDir)
WScript.Quit
Now are you going to tell me that this is more understandable than......

set var=C:\Test
mkdir %var%
EXIT
or even

md C:\Test
absolutely not.
So what the hell are you talking about??
Perhaps we should start the bashing on fortran, lisp, smalltk, and oh hell why not lets just throw 8086 in there. Screw it we'll just go back and start smashing binary. Says the caveman to the caveman "Hey look Bob just found a new website to help him build his wheel."

avery_larry wrote:but has difficulty understanding that this is "dostips.com", not "gawk-for-windowstips.com" or "vbscripttips.com".
So very true.
Last edited by isacmahad on 03 Nov 2009 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

ghostmachine4

#7 Post by ghostmachine4 » 03 Nov 2009 18:31

avery_larry wrote:Oh just ignore ghost. He has really good alternatives, but has difficulty understanding that this is "dostips.com", not "gawk-for-windowstips.com" or "vbscripttips.com". .

so what is dostips.com for? tell me the distinction. if its just a pure DOS forum, ie DOS6.22 then most the stuff posted here will not work in pure DOS. if dostips.com is about cmd.exe , then don't even try to use tools like ping.exe, ftp.exe, findstr.exe because they are not pure cmd.exe commands. if dostips.com is about creating batch files, which is just a bunch of commands put together to do a task, then i have every right to post vbscript or other gawk solutions because gawk.exe is just like ping.exe or those utilities in system32. Its a utility. Does dostip.com have a rule that say cannot use downloaded stuff?? Moreover, whether to use downloaded stuff is not up to me, or anybody, except the OP.

ghostmachine4

#8 Post by ghostmachine4 » 03 Nov 2009 18:42

isacmahad wrote:
Yes in certain cases this is true however not all accross the board.
Lets take a look at this example shall we.

Option Explicit
Dim objFS, objFolder
Dim strDir
strDir = "c:\Test"
Set objFS = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set objFolder = objFS.CreateFolder(strDir)
WScript.Quit
Now are you going to tell me that this is more understandable than......

strDir = "c:\Tests"
CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").CreateFolder(strDir)

so what's the problem? you mean you don't understand what is "CreateFolder" ??

mkdir %var%
EXIT
or even

md C:\Test
absolutely not.
So what the hell are you talking about??

your example is so trivial. besides, are your batch files only just one statement like mkdir? certainly not. you can only use batch(cmd.exe) for simple task but anything larger, batch gets ugly, hard to read and often have performance problems.

I can point point out many things that is easily done in vbscript (or other language) as compared to batch for you... eg date manipulation, string manipulation, use of arrays, dictionaries...regular expressions etc..

avery_larry wrote:but has difficulty understanding that this is "dostips.com", not "gawk-for-windowstips.com" or "vbscripttips.com".
So very true.[/quote]

Find one sentence in the dostips.com rules that says this must be purely cmd.exe or DOS 6.22 commands and no downloaded stuffs...then i will remove my account and never come here again.

isacmahad

#9 Post by isacmahad » 04 Nov 2009 00:37

so what's the problem? you mean you don't understand what is "CreateFolder" ??
Obviously I do :roll: I should have been more clear in the post stating that not in all cases is vbscript easier to follow nor shorter than batch in some cases.

Dim objFS, objFolder
Dim strDir
and in the case of setting variables absolutely is

easier to understand.
your example is so trivial.

I'm sorry I didn't realize we were coding for fortune 5's in are example arguments, I'll remember that next time.
I can point point out many things that is easily done in vbscript (or other language) as compared to batch for you.

As can I "I", I'm not disagreeing that in some cases there are much better suited tools for accomplishing the task at hand, I'm just saying or more less agreeing with what avery had stated earlier being.....
but most people get here and ask questions because they want something that will be portable to almost any recent flavor of windows without having to add or install anything, resource kits included. Of course, vbscript is natively supported (mostly), but it seems like most people, if they wanted vbscript, would have found themselves a different website to post questions in.

Find one sentence in the dostips.com rules that says this must be purely cmd.exe or DOS 6.22 commands and no downloaded stuffs...then i will remove my account and never come here again

You can post whatever the hell you want to post, there are no rules concerning this and nor should there be however maybe you should offer IT support for external tools on another form with people wanting support for external tools, and offer dos help here excluding from your post things like "Good Luck"

:wink:
Last edited by isacmahad on 04 Nov 2009 02:37, edited 1 time in total.

ghostmachine4

#10 Post by ghostmachine4 » 04 Nov 2009 01:02

isacmahad wrote:You can post whatever the hell you want to post, there are no rules concerning this and nor should there be h

so why the hell do you (or avery) care that my solution is native or not etc?? I suggest you (or avery) ignore my post next time.

isacmahad

#11 Post by isacmahad » 04 Nov 2009 01:06

-Removed by author.
Last edited by isacmahad on 04 Nov 2009 02:35, edited 1 time in total.

ghostmachine4

#12 Post by ghostmachine4 » 04 Nov 2009 01:09

isacmahad wrote:And I suggest you put away the one click **censored** and go find you a women that will sleep with you. Is it that time of the month guy?

that's what happens when one loses an argument, they babble nonsense.

isacmahad

#13 Post by isacmahad » 04 Nov 2009 01:14

I've lost no argument you keep spewing the same verbal diarrhea with no valid points. You don't read and you don't keep track.
so why the hell do you (or avery) care that my solution is native or not etc?? I suggest you (or avery) ignore my post next time.
Last edited by isacmahad on 04 Nov 2009 02:36, edited 1 time in total.

ghostmachine4

#14 Post by ghostmachine4 » 04 Nov 2009 01:21

isacmahad wrote:
I've lost no argument you keep spewing the same verbal diarrhea with no valid points.

i have already proven my point (use a better tool for processing text) . its you who are in denial.

isacmahad

#15 Post by isacmahad » 04 Nov 2009 01:28

Ok enuf childish behavior.
If you could plz run the source script on the other post and offer your assistance I would greatly appreciate it.
We will keep our tech arguments here.
I apologize for some of my ill comments.
Its water under the bridge.
Last edited by isacmahad on 04 Nov 2009 02:38, edited 1 time in total.