Cmdwiz - cmd helper tools (now with Unicode)

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

misol101

Re: Cmdwiz - cmd helper tools (now with Unicode)

#31 Post by misol101 » 07 Sep 2018 01:52

Finally managed to update the instructions above (section 1 and section 10).

The full list of changes for version 1.2 was:

1. As mentioned above, CmdWiz can now use its window operations for other windows than the current console window. See section 1.0 above for an explanation of how it works.
2. Two new operations were added: setwindowsize (see 1.13), and windowlist (see 1.14). The latter is used to get the information needed to specify a window for other window operations.
3. Using another window is also possible for the insertbmp operation (see 10.1). In addition, the /D switch can be used to paste the bitmap straight onto the display, ignoring all windows.
4. Bug fix: the getcharat operation returned incorrect values for extended ascii characters (above 0x80). This was not true for the legacy version cmdwiz-ascii.exe.
5. Bug fix: Using top for the showwindow operation did not work properly.

Also, the archive was restructured by moving a lot of the old gotoxy examples to its own folder, resulting in a less cluttered root folder.

Note that the old cmdwiz-ascii.exe does not have any of the above-mentioned changes and stays version 1.1.

haggy

#32 Post by haggy » 07 Sep 2018 05:46

Nice job you have done. Please note that the archive cant be downloaded. can you please send to my mail. hakeemakinde@yahoo.com. Thanks

misol101

#33 Post by misol101 » 07 Sep 2018 07:28

Yikes. Thanks Mediafire. I'm going to have to do something about that.

EDIT: It might take some time for Mediafire to reply, so I attached a smaller archive here for now. In order to stay below the 100kb limit, it contains only cmdwiz.exe, cmdwiz-ascii.exe, and two example scripts.

EDIT: Haggy, I sent you the full archive

LATE EDIT: This version is now obsolete, use Mediafire download link in first post
Attachments
cmdwiz.zip
Cmdwiz 1.2
(99.45 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Last edited by misol101 on 18 Dec 2018 11:19, edited 1 time in total.

aGerman
Expert

#34 Post by aGerman » 08 Sep 2018 07:00

You might try to change your code a little. Also try to figure out what AV engine Mediafire uses and upload your changed files to VirusTotal in order to see which engines report false positives.
In my latest reply of the CONVERTCP thread I wrote some possibilities of what you could try. First of all add some properties like version info, copyright, etc. If you need an example resource file for that then just get back to me.

Steffen

haggy

#35 Post by haggy » 09 Sep 2018 03:21

misol101 wrote:
07 Sep 2018 07:28
Yikes. Thanks Mediafire. I'm going to have to do something about that.

EDIT: It might take some time for Mediafire to reply, so I attached a smaller archive here for now. In order to stay below the 100kb limit, it contains only cmdwiz.exe, cmdwiz-ascii.exe, and two example scripts.

EDIT: Haggy, I sent you the full archive
Many thanks.

misol101

#36 Post by misol101 » 21 Sep 2018 12:24

aGerman wrote:
08 Sep 2018 07:00
You might try to change your code a little. Also try to figure out what AV engine Mediafire uses and upload your changed files to VirusTotal in order to see which engines report false positives.
In my latest reply of the CONVERTCP thread I wrote some possibilities of what you could try. First of all add some properties like version info, copyright, etc. If you need an example resource file for that then just get back to me.
MediaFire answered first with a long silence, then a straight no.
So, it seems this is what I will have to do then. Of course, this procedure is complicated by the fact that the archive contains 6 exe files, which VirusTotal claims all contains malicious code of some kind. It has been like that for some time, so I have no idea what was different for this upload.

[begin rant, this is probably flawed in a myriad of ways]
”Too many positives on VirusTotal”, says Mediafire, as if the *number* of positives should be what decides. If we are to take these antivirus programs seriously, then surely even 1 report of ”super dangerous virus” should be enough? But in fact, they seem to mostly just be guessing, so then, I must have reached the treshold of enough blindly reported warnings about malware. Ever notice how the antivirus programs seldom seem to agree on *which* malware or virus is inside an archive or program? For the Cmdwiz/Gotoxy archive it is all over the place, and thus it’s hard to take any of it seriously (of course I know none of my programs contain malware, but if the different antivirus softwares could atleast agree on which virus they claim is in there then atleast it would not seem like they are just guessing blindly without sense.
[end rant]

Interestingly, Mediafire officially claims that all their files are scanned with BitDefender. The interesting part is that according to VirusTotal, BitDefender is *not* reporting any problems inside this archive.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, it’s just the way it is I guess. Steffen, I will contact you shortly.

aGerman
Expert

#37 Post by aGerman » 21 Sep 2018 15:18

That's quite annoying, I know :lol:
I attached a resource file that you can use for C and C++ apps on Windows. I tried to keep it easy for you to update the values (using a little macro magic and some links to the documentations).
Add it to your project, and after the compilation see what file properties were added. Also the number of false positives on VirusTotal should already significantly decrease now.

Steffen
Attachments
dummy.rc.zip
(1.06 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

misol101

#38 Post by misol101 » 23 Sep 2018 16:45

aGerman wrote:
21 Sep 2018 15:18
That's quite annoying, I know :lol:
I attached a resource file that you can use for C and C++ apps on Windows. I tried to keep it easy for you to update the values (using a little macro magic and some links to the documentations).
Add it to your project, and after the compilation see what file properties were added. Also the number of false positives on VirusTotal should already significantly decrease now.
Mediafire link is back!

Thank you for the resource file! It's nice that I now have details listed in the properties for all executables in the archive.

However, as is often the case, things are not always what they seem. The initial archive had 16 warnings according to VirusTotal. After I added resource files to the executables, it went down... to 15 :) But then I tried making an archive with *only* the 4 executables (no example scripts, no side projects),which resulted in: only 3 warnings!

After a lot of trial and error, it turned out that one of the folders in my zip archive with 15 warnings included another zip file (which was only a zipped up version of exactly the files in its own folder). As soon as I removed that zip file from the archive, the number of warnings went down from 15 to 5! Lesson learned: apparently the AntiVirus programs find it extremely suspicious if a zip file contains another zip file :D Maybe they don't extract recursively, so they just assume the zip in the zip must contain bad things.

To get the whole archive down to 3 warnings, I also had to remove two folders in the archive containing cmdgfx. This means that Taskmon and Listc are no longer included in the gotoxy archive,but that's ok, I have separate archives for them anyway.

I think I will let it stay at 3 warnings for now, atleast that's good enough for Mediafire it seems (and I don't know how to get rid of these remaining warnings). For the record, Cylance, K7GW,and K7AntiVirus still complain.