Double expansion ? Trouble expanding a variable inside another variable and displaying it

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

Osmium Programming

Double expansion ? Trouble expanding a variable inside another variable and displaying it

#1 Post by Osmium Programming » 27 Jun 2018 18:07

I was working on a command prompt in batch, and for the command that displays text on the screen, when I tried to display a variable it displayed it like this- %variable%
The relevant code for that is

Code: Select all

set var=4
set /p a=
echo %a%
If I enter %var% it displays %var%, not its contents (4).

However, when I change it to this, it works

set var=4
set a=%var%
echo %a%
Is there a way to still have user input for a, but output 4?

Grapefruits

Re: Double expansion ? Trouble expanding a variable inside another variable and displaying it

#2 Post by Grapefruits » 27 Jun 2018 19:26

This is coming from a total beginner in batch, but what I think you can do is put "call" before echo, to call the variable when its put out. Like this:

set var=4
set /p a=
call echo %a%
So it puts out

So that by putting in %var%, and calling echo a (which equals %var%) it'll expand it and print out 4. I remember reading about it somewhere on Stack Overflow, sorry I can't provide any links. Hope this helps...

aGerman
Expert

Re: Double expansion ? Trouble expanding a variable inside another variable and displaying it

#3 Post by aGerman » 28 Jun 2018 07:21

Um things like that are a little weird. As I understand your question you want the user to enter a variable name. Why?

@echo off &setlocal
set var=4
set /p "a=Enter a variable name: "
echo Entered: %a%

:: assign the value of var to the entered name
set "%a%=%var%"

:: either use call ...
call echo %a%=%%%a%%%

:: ... or delayed expansion
setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion
echo %a%=!%a%!
endlocal

pause
Possible output:

Enter a variable name: X
Entered: X
X=4
X=4
Drücken Sie eine beliebige Taste . . .
@Grapefruits
I'm afraid your code would only display 4 if the user entered 4 in the set /p statement.

Steffen

Grapefruits

#4 Post by Grapefruits » 28 Jun 2018 08:53

@aGerman I thought OsmiumProgramming's question asked if entering a variable name with the percent signs around it in the set /p statement would expand to its contents. So if you enter %var% in the set /p statement, it would expand to its contents (so 4). If you enter %var% in set /p using my code it displays

not

%var%

aGerman
Expert

#5 Post by aGerman » 28 Jun 2018 09:22

Also possible. Let's wait for a response :wink:

Steffen

Osmium Programming

#6 Post by Osmium Programming » 02 Jul 2018 18:07

That's not what I was looking for, but thanks anyway aGerman, it's nice to know there is always a person to ask. I appreciate it!
Also, thanks Grapefruits, that really helps!