How do I rerun AUTOEXEC?

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

jac82664

How do I rerun AUTOEXEC?

#1 Post by jac82664 » 11 Feb 2019 16:34

I made some changes to my AUTOEXEC bat using the SET command because I don't need them to be permanent. The SET commands will do things like reset the HOMEDRIVE temporarily. Some of the SET commands worked but a set command that sets a new PATH did not. The application that needs the information in PATH does not detect that the path has been updated.

Is there a way to rerun the AUTOEXEC so that my application detects the PATH I set using the SET Command?

Thank you.

jac.

jfl

Re: How do I rerun AUTOEXEC?

#2 Post by jfl » 12 Feb 2019 04:26

autoexec.bat was a feature of MS-DOS. Are you still using MS-DOS?
Windows XP and later are not based on MS-DOS, and do not run autoexec.bat by default.
(Unless maybe you have changed the Windows Command Prompt's startup command to something like:
%windir%\system32\cmd.exe /k "C:\autoexec.bat")

Anyway, in both cases, simply run C:\autoexec.bat again in your command or cmd prompt.

Ed Dyreen
Expert

Re: How do I rerun AUTOEXEC?

#3 Post by Ed Dyreen » 12 Feb 2019 17:27

jac82664 wrote:
11 Feb 2019 16:34
I made some changes to my AUTOEXEC bat using the SET command because I don't need them to be permanent. The SET commands will do things like reset the HOMEDRIVE temporarily. Some of the SET commands worked but a set command that sets a new PATH did not. The application that needs the information in PATH does not detect that the path has been updated.

Is there a way to rerun the AUTOEXEC so that my application detects the PATH I set using the SET Command?

Thank you.

jac.
In dos:
Which version of command.com are you loading ?

In windows:
Open Configuration Screen > System Properties > Advanced > Environmental Variables > here you change the PATH variable permanently.