Heads-up: Cmd window now auto-refreshing after every command(?)

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

misol101

Heads-up: Cmd window now auto-refreshing after every command(?)

#1 Post by misol101 » 25 Dec 2019 23:30

It used to be that it was possible (via e.g. C API) to draw/insert an image into the cmd window (which would last until the window was scrolled or refreshed).

Not sure when, or with which update, but my Windows 10 no longer allows this, because it now automatically refreshes the cmd window after each command (or external program?) finishes.

This means that programs like aGerman’s insertBmp no longer works (well, it ”works”,, but the image is only visible for a few ms, then disappears)

(As for my own programs, it affects cmdgfx_gdi.exe and cmdgfx_RGB.exe, but only when run on their own (when run as server it does not affect them). If run on their own, one simple workaround is to always use the K flag, which means wait for a key press before finishing.)

Wanted to hear if other people had noticed this as well. Maybe my Windows is just messed up...?

aGerman
Expert

Re: Heads-up: Cmd window now auto-refreshing after every command(?)

#2 Post by aGerman » 26 Dec 2019 04:46

Oh, I thought you already noticed it. At least in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7869&p=60035#p60035

Steffen

misol101

#3 Post by misol101 » 26 Dec 2019 05:48

Aha... I must have missed the end of that discussion.

I thought I had used my script bmp_convert (which shows before/after results in the cmd window for convenience) rather recently without hickups, but I suppose my memory fails me...

Thanks Steffen

aGerman
Expert

#4 Post by aGerman » 26 Dec 2019 08:18

Hmm... Perhaps you used it along with the legacy console where it should still work.
I could make insertbmp work again if I make it run as long as the console window exists. But that would either require START /B with all of its disadvantages or it would need to detach the console and probably run a polling loop that checks if the console window still exists before terminating. Both not yet tested though.

Steffen

misol101

#5 Post by misol101 » 26 Dec 2019 08:38

Yes, that would work but be a bit of a pain. CmdBkg still works, but as you know it works differently (somewhat similar to what you posted but with the bitmap in its own window)

carlos
Expert

#6 Post by carlos » 26 Dec 2019 11:11

Hello, using Enhanced Batch @image inside a batch script not erase the image while the batch script is running.