Batch to wipe / default Win10

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

Riptyde

Batch to wipe / default Win10

#1 Post by Riptyde » 02 Feb 2020 17:08

Were a small business without time to invest into an imaging solution or create one ourselves, plus we would like the transparency of a script instead of building and managing an image. The need is a script (in either powershell or batch) that we just run on the machine and walk away. I've finished all our needs via batch but this. I can execute systemreset -cleanpc but then that brings up a series of clicking and idle time. It really needs to be completely hands off. I also see a way to remotely wipe using powershell, but we don't have a machine to do this and manage the rest of the needs. I think it's making it more complicated than it needs to be. It took me about 15 minutes to get all our other needs down in batch (installing programs, setting the admin, configuring the default profile etc) but somehow (and factory defaulting would be best) we need to also remove any user installed applications, accounts, etc... or at the very least just everything but the applications. It needs to be clean of their stuff as possible. Is anyone aware of a batch or powershell script that will do something like this?

ShadowThief
Expert

Re: Batch to wipe / default Win10

#2 Post by ShadowThief » 03 Feb 2020 13:24

I see you got tired of waiting on reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/Batch/comments ... r_working/

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think this is even possible? There is no "default Windows installation." Even during initial setup there are dozens of configuration options to choose from, plus any customization settings that were set are kept if you upgrade from a previous version of Windows. (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH1BKPSGcxQ) All of your other tasks were basic system administration.

Any commands to reset your PC are very very deliberately not unattendable. The systemreset -cleanpc command you found is about as good as you're going to get.
Were a small business without time to invest into an imaging solution or create one ourselves
If you don't have time to do it correctly, you're going to waste more time by fixing the side effects of doing it incorrectly.

Squashman
Expert

Re: Batch to wipe / default Win10

#3 Post by Squashman » 05 Feb 2020 10:13

ShadowThief wrote:
03 Feb 2020 13:24
If you don't have time to do it correctly, you're going to waste more time by fixing the side effects of doing it incorrectly.
Agreed.

If you are in a domain environment, Microsoft has already given you all the tools to accomplish this. You just need a competent admin to set it up.