Robocopy folders

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

LeoHarrison

Robocopy folders

#1 Post by LeoHarrison » 08 Mar 2020 07:40

what I am doing is to migrate an old server to Server 2019
I need to :

- Copy all the files on \\oldServer to \\newServer while the old server is still in use.

-to set the old server offline, and copy the files that were in use, or files that were modified or added to oldServer

- to copy the folder NTFS/share permissions.

-when the old server is offline and then being online, I need to copy the modified data

thanks

HannahDaniel

Re: Robocopy folders

#2 Post by HannahDaniel » 09 Mar 2020 05:17

just try to consider the new Storage Migration Service, I tried to migrate my old server to server 2019 and it was working a lot better and faster than robocopy ever has.
just check this link
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... e/overview
Notice : there is a GUI version of robocopy and GUI alternatives

LeoHarrison

#3 Post by LeoHarrison » 10 Mar 2020 05:15

Before I checking this link, will this work for server 2012 to server 2019 ?
I didn't know that there is a GUI copy of Robocopy! but it's ok for me to mention any solution to save my time

HannahDaniel

#4 Post by HannahDaniel » 12 Mar 2020 04:19

- yes, it was developed for that sort of migrating a legacy server to newer windows servers, it can also be used to migrate to 2012 or 2016 but it goes at full speed when migrating is to a 2019 server.
- check this example :
robocopy \\<Sname>\<share> E:\Shares\subfolder /E /COPYALL /W:0 /R:0 /TEE /Log+:E:\Robo-Logs\<nameoftheshare>.txt

example: robocopy \\SRV-D\Accounts E:\Shares\Accounts /E /COPYALL /W:0 /R:0 /TEE /Log+:E:\Robo-Logs\Accounts.txt

and don't just run it, remember to change to your preference

- Notice : Robocopy can't copy share permissions https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/ ... to-2012-r2
and you can find the GUI version of robocopy here
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previo ... v=msdn.10)

LeoHarrison

#5 Post by LeoHarrison » 15 Mar 2020 07:36

Thank you so much! now starting to like the idea of using Shared Migration Service. Can this be run while everything is "live"? And how does it handle files in use or files modified after being copied? also, I see that your example can be applied, but the issue of "robocopy can't copy share permission still a problem and the GUI robocopy can't too, and I see that the issue of copying share permissions can be solved via programs like securecopy quest or gs richcopy 360 or .....etc , what do you think?

HannahDaniel

#6 Post by HannahDaniel » 19 Mar 2020 06:43

I am happy that my answer was helpful and as an answer to your question, Yeah, you can run it while everything is "live", it will copy everything it can in the background (you select what shares you want to copy), you can then run the transfer as much as you want so you can copy everything one week, then, later on, run it again before you complete the migration to copy over any changes. I know that it will take much time, I have tried something like this in my system admin life but I am done from coding, now we use gsrichcopy 360 in any process like servers migration, so copying NTFS or share permissions , copying modified data only and the speed is not a problem with my company, I’m just trying to be helpful by regurgitating some things I remember from my former professional system admin life.

LeoHarrison

#7 Post by LeoHarrison » 20 Mar 2020 06:59

I think I will follow in your footsteps, we informed that employees will work from home because of coronavirus, so my IT manager informed us to enable technology to make employees send the tasks and updated data from homes to every direct manger, the data will be between 1M to 3G daily or weekly, so I am thinking that gs richcopy360 will be a good choice to help us in this case and also in the main case (servers migrations) to avoid the problems of copying share permissions and we will also benefit from his great speed as shown in its website, thanks HannahDaniel for you help and I will feed you back.

HannahDaniel

#8 Post by HannahDaniel » 20 Mar 2020 07:35

I hope your work goes well and I hope my suggestions will be useful to you but don't worry I am very sure from this software, we still using it till now without any problems, everything depends on work and time so take care and I am waiting for your feedback or any questions :) .

LeoHarrison

#9 Post by LeoHarrison » 27 Mar 2020 06:42

Amazing,gs richcopy 360 works well with us, it copied NTFS/share permissions without any problems and can copy modified data in a specific time as we needed .

RFaiana

#10 Post by RFaiana » 05 Mar 2021 06:23

Hi, can I use the mentioned tool "Gs Richcopy 360 "to copy all the types of permissions from windows server 2016 to AWS S3?

HannahDaniel

#11 Post by HannahDaniel » 07 Mar 2021 12:11

RFaiana
It depends, Gs Richcopy360 works as a backup/copy tool and it can copy from windows(servers) or VM(Azure) to cloud providers like OneDrive , SharePoint Online, Azure Blob, AWS S3, and Google Drive.
It has an intelligent option which I prefer, this option gives you the ability to throttle the connection so that only specific bandwidth is used which means your DataCenter will not be affected by the consumed bandwidth while uploading to the clouds.

Note: the tool doesn't work on Linux.