Vt escape codes and cursor hide / show

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

T3RRY

Vt escape codes and cursor hide / show

#1 Post by T3RRY » 15 Oct 2020 15:42

I've been using these for controlling various aspects of output for a while now, and somehow missed that Hide / show cursor sequences are effective in cmd.exe

A short demo script utilizing %\E[%?25l to hide the cursor

Code: Select all

@Echo off
If Not "%~1" == "" (Exit /B)Else CLS
(For /F %%a in ('echo prompt $E ^| cmd')do (Set "\E[=%%a["&Set "\E=%%a")
%= Ascii Escape Character. Do Not Modify. =%)
(Set LF=^

%= LineFeed - Do Not Modify =%)
 Echo/%\E[%?25l
 Set "Roll=(For /F "Delims=" %%R in ('Set /A "D=!random! %%6 + 1"')Do (Set "#=%%R"&(!D[%%R]!)))"
 Set "Roll.Anim=For %%n in (1 2) Do if %%n==2 ((If "!Repeat!"=="" Set "Repeat=15")&For /L %%x in (1 1 !Repeat!) do (%ROLL% & %Roll% & (For /L %%D in (1 1 Delay)Do Call "%~F0" 1) & CLS))Else Set "
 Set "DefArr=For %%n in (1 2)Do if %%n==2 ((For /F "Tokens=1,2 Delims==" %%v in ('2^> Nul Set #[')Do Set "%%~v=" & Set "#{i}=0") & For %%G in (!list!)Do (Set /a "#{i}=!#{i}!+1" & Set "#[!#{i}!]=%%~G"))Else Set List="
 Set "Select=CLS&(Title Enter a number [2-12] or [E]xit & Set "Guess=" & (For %%n in (1 2)Do If not !Guess! GTR 1 (For /F "Delims=" %%G in ('Choice /N /C:E0123456789')Do If "%%G"=="E" (TITLE & Echo/%\E[%?25h & Endlocal & Exit /B 0) Else (<nul Set /P "=%%G"& Set "Guess=!Guess!%%G")))& (if !Guess! GTR 12 (Goto :Guess)))& (If "!Guess:~0,1!"=="0" (Set "Guess=!Guess:~1,1!"))& (If !Guess! LEQ 1 Goto :Guess) & CLS"
 Set "Total=(Set /A "Sum=#"&Echo/You rolled: [%\E[%33m!Sum!%\E[%0m])& (If "!Guess!" == "!Sum!" (Echo/Congrats)Else (Echo/Your Guess: [%\E[%31m!Guess!%\E[%0m] was wrong.)) & Pause > Nul & CLS & Goto :Guess )"
 Setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion
 %DefArr:#=D% "Echo/%\E[%31m---!LF!!LF! o!LF!!LF!---%\E[%0m!LF!" "Echo/%\E[%32m---!LF!  o!LF!!LF!o!LF!---%\E[%0m!LF!" "Echo/%\E[%33m---!LF!o!LF! o !LF!  o!LF!---%\E[%0m!LF!" "Echo/%\E[%34m---!LF!o o!LF!!LF!o o!LF!---%\E[%0m!LF!" "Echo/%\E[%35m---!LF!o o!LF! o!LF!o o!LF!---%\E[%0m!LF!" "Echo/%\E[%36m---!LF!o o!LF!o o!LF!o o!LF!---%\E[%0m!LF!"
:Guess
 %Select%
 %Roll.Anim:Delay=5%Repeat=20
 %Roll:#=R[1]%&%Roll:#=R[2]%
 %Total:#=R[1]+R[2]%
Last edited by T3RRY on 16 Oct 2020 05:59, edited 2 times in total.

ShadowThief
Expert

Re: Vt escape codes and cursor hide / show

#2 Post by ShadowThief » 15 Oct 2020 16:23

Everything that's listed here will work: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... -sequences

T3RRY

#3 Post by T3RRY » 15 Oct 2020 17:23

ShadowThief wrote:
15 Oct 2020 16:23
Everything that's listed here will work: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... -sequences
yet to figure out how to get cursor position using the ESC[6n Query myself.

ShadowThief
Expert

#4 Post by ShadowThief » 15 Oct 2020 21:08

T3RRY wrote:
15 Oct 2020 17:23
ShadowThief wrote:
yet to figure out how to get cursor position using the ESC[6n Query myself.
The closest I've been able to get so far is

echo [5;2H[6n
set /p cpos=
echo Cursor at %cpos:~2,-1%
but that requires the user to press enter when the ^[[5;2R is displayed. Any time I try to redirect the echo to a text file or run it through a for loop, it sends the initial ANSI sequence instead.
https://github.com/PowerShell/PSReadLine/issues/799 suggests that I should be able to just read in the data from the console, but I can't seem to pick it up programmatically since it gets sent to CON (I think) instead of STDIN or STDERR.

T3RRY

#5 Post by T3RRY » 16 Oct 2020 02:37

ShadowThief wrote:
15 Oct 2020 21:08
The closest I've been able to get so far is

echo [5;2H[6n
set /p cpos=
echo Cursor at %cpos:~2,-1%
but that requires the user to press enter when the ^[[5;2R is displayed. Any time I try to redirect the echo to a text file or run it through a for loop, it sends the initial ANSI sequence instead.
https://github.com/PowerShell/PSReadLine/issues/799 suggests that I should be able to just read in the data from the console, but I can't seem to pick it up programmatically since it gets sent to CON (I think) instead of STDIN or STDERR.
That's gotten me closer - It does indeed go to con:

@Echo off(For /F %%a in ('echo prompt $E ^| cmd')do (Set "/E=%%a[")
%= Ascii Escape Character. Do Not Modify. =%)
 <nul Set /P "=/%/E%5;2H."
 Set "catchPos=(<Con Set /P"Cpos=%/E%6n") & (Set "Cpos=!Cpos:~2,-1!")&Echo/!Cpos!"
 %catchpos%
Pause > Nul
I haven't devised a means to redirect or pipe the output in a non blocking way as yet

miskox

#6 Post by miskox » 16 Oct 2020 04:30

What I remember from using DEC Video Terminals (VT 420 and VT 520): Correct sequence is:

CSI   Pl ; Pc H

CSI = ESC + [
So you should
set ESC to 27decimal
echo %esc%[4;2HThis is test.
to set cursor position. This should work.

EDIT: this works for me:

(instead of X I patched it with 0x1B) - you could use viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5326 )

@echo off
cls
set ESC=X
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.

(windows 10, version 1903, build 18362.1082), x64, slovenian)

Saso

T3RRY

#7 Post by T3RRY » 16 Oct 2020 05:47

miskox wrote:
16 Oct 2020 04:30
What I remember from using DEC Video Terminals (VT 420 and VT 520): Correct sequence is:

CSI   Pl ; Pc H

CSI = ESC + [
So you should
set ESC to 27decimal
to set cursor position. This should work.

EDIT: this works for me:

@echo off
cls
set ESC=X
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.

(windows 10, version 1903, build 18362.1082), x64, slovenian)

Saso
I'm not certain what your trying to add to the conversation here. ESC[l;cH is already known as the sequence syntax for setting cursor position line;column - as well as being described well in the documentation already referenced:
ShadowThief wrote:
As for :
miskox wrote:
16 Oct 2020 04:30
(instead of X I patched it with 0x1B) - you could use viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5326 )
The following is a suitable way to define the ESC control character. two variables are defined, one for sequences requiring [, one for squences that don't require [

(For /F %%a in ('echo prompt $E ^| cmd')do (Set "\E[=%%a["&Set "\E=%%a")
The discussion around ESC[6n is about capturing the current position when the value is unknown, Idealy in a manner that is non blocking and doesn't result in output to the console.
The reason I myself am intersted in this is to develop a means of positional control using Escape sequences:

ESCA Cursor Up
ESCB Cursor Down
ESCC Cursor Forward (Right)
ESCD Cursor Backward (Left)

Without having to resort to intermediary values to adjust line/column positions, but simply test the current cursor postion against a table of permitted values for the axis of movement.
Last edited by T3RRY on 16 Oct 2020 05:56, edited 1 time in total.

miskox

#8 Post by miskox » 16 Oct 2020 05:53

There is a post that cursor positiooning is not working.

Saso

penpen
Expert

#9 Post by penpen » 16 Oct 2020 06:01

You might find viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9454 usefull:
It contains a c# solution and a pure batch solution to get the cursor position and the device attribute.

penpen

T3RRY

#10 Post by T3RRY » 16 Oct 2020 06:12

miskox wrote:
16 Oct 2020 05:53
There is a post that cursor positiooning is not working.

Saso
Post #3 ? Perhaps a simple misunderstanding. Get Cursor position using ESC[6n

That's is: get the current cursor position using escape code DECXCPR to query the state of the cursor position, and Set it to a variable.
This is a differs from setting the cursor position using the CUP escape code.

The issue with assigning the result of the querry to a varible stems from it being returned via the con stream - it cant be read directly from stdout, nor have I found means of redirecting it that allows it to be captured in a non blocking manner

T3RRY

#11 Post by T3RRY » 16 Oct 2020 07:43

penpen wrote:
16 Oct 2020 06:01
You might find viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9454 usefull:
It contains a c# solution and a pure batch solution to get the cursor position and the device attribute.

penpen
Brilliant! As always, the wheel has already been invented, by smarter minds than mine. Macro adapted :

@echo off
(Set \n=^^^
%=Do not modify=%
)
for /F "delims=#" %%a in ('"prompt #$E# & for %%a in (1) do rem"') do set "\E=%%a"
<Nul Set /p "=%\E%[20;20H"
Set GetPos=For %%n in (1 2)Do if %%n==2 (%\n%
 For /L %%l in (2 1 12)Do (%\n%
  If not "!Char!" == "R" (%\n%
   ^<nul set /p "=%\E%[6n" %\n%
   FOR /L %%# in (1 1 %%l) DO pause ^< CON ^> NUL%\n%
    Set "Char=;"%\n%
    for /F "tokens=1 skip=1 delims=*" %%C in ('"REPLACE /W ? . < con"') DO (%\n%
     Set "char=%%C"%\n%
    )%\n%
   If "!Cpos!" == "" (Set "Cpos=!Char!")Else set "Cpos=!Cpos!!char:R=!"%\n%
  )%\n%
 )%\n%
)Else set "Cpos=" ^&Set "Char="
%GetPos%
 <Nul Set /P "=!Cpos!"
Endlocal
exit /b
A proof of concept regarding Positional movement by comparing a move from a current position in a given direction with a list of allowed move positions:

==========================================================================================================
::: * Proof of concept script for moving cursor along a permitted path only using ASCII escape codes * :::
==========================================================================================================
@echo off & CLS  & CD "%userprofile%"
Rem [* Ensure safe temporary working directory - Failed Redirections can cause issues in the working directory *]
 If exist "%TEMP%\%~n0\Guard" (RMDIR "%TEMP%\%~n0\Guard" /S /Q 2> Nul || (Echo/Cleanup failed & Exit /B 1))
 Timeout 2 > Nul & CLS
 If not exist "%TEMP%\%~n0\Guard" MD "%TEMP%\%~n0\Guard"
 PUSHD "%TEMP%\%~n0\Guard" || (Echo/Safe working directory required & Exit /B)
(Set \n=^^^
%=Do not modify=%
)

for /F "delims=#" %%a in ('"prompt #$E# & for %%a in (1) do rem"') do set "\E=%%a"
Rem [* max expected return length is 11 characters: "^]]###;###R". R is disregarded. only 10 iterations required *]
Rem [* Additional redirections or piping within the CHKmove macro or any (code block) it's used in may cause failure. *]
Set CHKmove=(Set "Opos=!Cpos!" ^& set "Cpos=" ^&Set "Char=" ^& For %%n in (1 2)Do if %%n==2 (%\n%
 For /L %%l in (2 1 12)Do (%\n%
  If not "!Char!" == "R" (%\n%
   ^<nul set /p "=%\E%[6n" %\n%
   FOR /L %%# in (1 1 %%l) DO pause ^< CON ^> NUL%\n%
   Set "Char=;"%\n%
   for /F "tokens=1 skip=1 delims=*" %%C in ('"REPLACE /W ? . < con"') DO (Set "char=%%C")%\n%
   If "!Cpos!" == "" (Set "Cpos=!Char!")Else set "Cpos=!Cpos!!char:R=!"%\n%
  )%\n%
 )%\n%
 Set "_V=F"^&(For %%G in (!Valid!)Do If /I "%%~G" == "!Cpos!" (Set "_V=T"))%\n%
))
Rem [* 'Valid' variable is used as the source of valid positions to compare against in CHKmove macro *]
 Set Valid="20;21" "20;22" "20;23" "20;24" "20;25" "19;25" "18;25" "17;25" "16;25"  "15;25" "15;24" "15;23" "15;22" "15;21" "15;21" "16;21" "17;21" "18;21" "19;21"
Rem [* On [E]xit: restor cursor - return to previous WD - Delete scripts TEMP folder - End the local Environment *]
 Set "CLEANUP=ECHO/%\E%[?25h%\E%[21;1HDone. & POPD & RMDIR "%TEMP%\%~n0\Guard" /S /Q 2> Nul & Endlocal & Exit /B"
 Set "RestorePos=(set "Cpos=!Opos!"& <Nul Set /P "=%\E%[!Opos!H%\E%[!Col!mx%\E%[0m" &Set "_V=T")"
 For %%v in (!Valid!) Do <Nul Set /P "=%\E%[%%~vH%\E%[90m.%\E%[0m"
Rem [* Hide cursor; Set and display Intial position *]
 <Nul Set /p "=%\E%[?25l%\E%[20;21Hx"&Set "Cpos=20;21"
Rem [* Directional 'cursor move' sequences *]
 Set "D="&Set "W=%\E%D%\E%A"& Set "A=%\E%D%\E%D"& Set "S=%\E%B%\E%D"
 Set "Col=30"
:loop
 If %COL% EQU 37 Set "Col=30"
 Set /A "Col+=1" & TITLE Move: [WASD] Exit: [E]
Rem [* User input attempt move *]
 For /F "Delims=" %%O in ('Choice /N /C:WASDE')Do If "%%O" == "E" (%CLEANUP%)Else ( <Nul Set /p "=!%%O!")
Rem [* move cursor using escape codes; test if position is valid -T:Display move -F:Restore Cursor to last saved valid position *]
 %CHKmove% & If "!_V!"=="T" (<Nul Set /p "=%\E%[!Col!mx%\E%[0m") Else (%RestorePos%)
Goto :loop