Help running assemly code I want to wrap in a batch file

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

Quizmaster

Help running assemly code I want to wrap in a batch file

#1 Post by Quizmaster » 21 Mar 2013 19:42

Hey everyone, how's it going my name is nick, and I'm an electrical engineering and computer science student trying to learn Batch and assembly language in a book I bought titled DOS Batch file Lab Notes by Neil J. Rubenking. Now I'm on Windows 8 and every time I try to run my assembler's file GETKEY.SCR, a notification window pops up saying "This app can't run on your PC", so my question is: What do I have to do to get my program to run, do I have to change the file extension, or what else would have to be done to get it running?

foxidrive
Expert

Re: Help running assemly code I want to wrap in a batch file

#2 Post by foxidrive » 21 Mar 2013 21:57

How is getkey.scr being launched?

What is inside it?

Queue

#3 Post by Queue » 24 Mar 2013 02:04

That book is from 1993 and is undoubtedly teaching you 16-bit assembly, which is effectively worthless. 64-bit Windows cannot run 16-bit executable code. The error message you're getting is almost definitely the opaque ''this is a 16-bit executable'' error message on modern Windows.

If your book is teaching you in MASM-syntax assembly, go here: http://www.masm32.com/ for the modern 32-bit software to write 32-bit Windows code.

If it's not MASM, good luck; there are viable 32-bit (and 64-bit) assembly alternatives, but 32-bit MASM is all I personally happen to work with, so I can't give advice on where to look for other resources.

Queue

Quizmaster

#4 Post by Quizmaster » 24 Mar 2013 16:30

It doesn't mention what architecture, so maybe I could try running under a masm assembler and I'll post the or something, but in spite of the fact that it has a lot of out of date commands like DEBUG for instance, I still like I'm learning a lot about batch scripting.. Thanks for the tip, guys!