All I Want for Christmas…

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

Sponge Belly

All I Want for Christmas…

#1 Post by Sponge Belly » 26 Dec 2014 14:23

Dear DosTippers,

I have a complete set of 3.5inch floppies that came shrink-wrapped with an early 1990s Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) PC. DEC later sold off their PC division to Compaq who were in turn swallowed up by HP.

Anyways, the point is, I have the disks for MS-DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.1… all except for Windows ver 3.1 Disk 7 of 7. A light grey disk with a white label. If anyone out there knows where I can get my icy flippers on an original so I can complete my collection, please get in touch. Will pay cash.

TIA!

- SB

penpen
Expert

Re: All I Want for Christmas…

#2 Post by penpen » 26 Dec 2014 19:41

I would try an online auctioneer like ebay - in Germany this is fully legal, but i don't know the laws of other countries:
It may be different, so you have to do it at your own risk.

penpen

foxidrive
Expert

#3 Post by foxidrive » 26 Dec 2014 22:52

Sponge Belly wrote:Anyways, the point is, I have the disks for MS-DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.1

What comes to my mind is that bit rot happens to floppies, and to other media, and they may actually be worthless to install into anything.

Having them as a collectable may still be your aim, but they could well be broken.

Edit: It seems they call it Data degradation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_degradation

Liviu
Expert

#4 Post by Liviu » 27 Dec 2014 01:46

What @foxidrive said. It's been 12+ years since I liquidated my floppy archive and, among those that I imaged/saved at the time, I found a few that were no longer readable.

Also, back in the times of Win 3.x, OEMs took liberties with the distribution. I still have 6-disk Win 3.1 (images), and 8-disk WFW 3.1x ones, but no 7-disk that I can find. Sorry, can't help Santa with this ;-)