Stackoverflow

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

Squashman
Expert

Stackoverflow

#1 Post by Squashman » 17 Oct 2015 08:10

Are people really that anal on Stackoverflow. I posted in two different threads from the same person. Their second thread was just an addition to the previous thread I answered for them. In my code I used my example but used Notepad as the task it was looking for and used an arbitrary memory usage value. Some guy came along and edited my code to be the exact task and memory usage.

I constantly see people being crass and complete @$$holes when people ask a question and have some basic code they have already tried.

It does not seem like a very collaborative environment. Not sure if I will continue to use SO or not.

Ed Dyreen
Expert

Re: Stackoverflow

#2 Post by Ed Dyreen » 18 Oct 2015 06:35

Now come on squash, we all like SO except me and you.

I just don't like their interface, how the chronological structure of topics is destroyed and answers are moved around. How it is decided by others what the best answer should be. How some people seem to be more interested in building a reputation rather than just sharing knowledge and ideas.

Sometimes people request credit for ideas no-one can verify whom invented them, after all our ideas are not ours to create, they're just out there waiting to be seen.

Samir

#3 Post by Samir » 18 Oct 2015 08:34

I've not participated in that community (it's one of the few that I haven't), but it does seem to be a very harsh environment. But the answers are generally of a much higher caliber than you find elsewhere, and maybe that's how they do it.

I appreciate all your answers that I've ever run across, either here or elsewhere. Don't let them get you down. 8)

Squashman
Expert

#4 Post by Squashman » 18 Oct 2015 19:18

Well I find the quality of answers here to be of high caliber.

Ed Dyreen
Expert

#5 Post by Ed Dyreen » 18 Oct 2015 19:36

Squashman wrote:Well I find the quality of answers here to be of high caliber.
That would be because some of the well respected members of SO and ss64 are the same people who moderate and or answer questions here.

npocmaka_

#6 Post by npocmaka_ » 19 Oct 2015 05:45

Logically SO attracts more people , is more open and has gamification.
All of these has pros and cons - more people means more assholes too , but is the best thing in SO - more knowledge and more visibility (of yourself).
Gamification spoils the environment but is stimulating - at least for me.
And may be it's too open and too inert.
It's not perfect but there's nothing better - dostips is mono-technological and highly specialized (despite slipping WSH and .NET languages) and rather is the better place to dive deep in the details.

Samir

#7 Post by Samir » 19 Oct 2015 12:50

Squashman wrote:Well I find the quality of answers here to be of high caliber.
I do too. What I meant was generally other resources or Internet searches.

Squashman
Expert

#8 Post by Squashman » 19 Oct 2015 12:51

See this is the type of trivially BS that I hate.

This guy wants my code edited to lowercase the C in the CALL statement. It doesn't matter if it is Mixed Case, Proper Case, All Upper or All Lower!!!!!
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3321 ... 0#33218780

Ed Dyreen
Expert

#9 Post by Ed Dyreen » 19 Oct 2015 13:46

Squashman wrote:See this is the type of trivially BS that I hate.

This guy wants my code edited to lowercase the C in the CALL statement. It doesn't matter if it is Mixed Case, Proper Case, All Upper or All Lower!!!!!
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3321 ... 0#33218780
Maybe it's just me or they've been messing with replies but I can't even see where LanguidSquid is complaining about the Case. But does it really matter ? How often have I myself been discouraged by respected members in posting anything at all ? I am beyond the stage of manually formulating solutions, I use a library - I don't waste time reinventing the wheel - which converts the code to memoryDumps of macro's and function isolation's used in the solution. And even that I don't post because it was found uhum tooComplex. But I don't care, it's highly efficient and good cryptography. Yes that website is still in the back of my head squash, but lately I've been more involved in maintaining and protecting my exit-node from Mr evil government.

MattW76

#10 Post by MattW76 » 19 Oct 2015 14:22

I got down voted because of my Title! And the hyperlink I used that was fine was all wacky after his "edit". This is the ridiculous bs that happens on SO. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33218246 I'm pretty sure I did my due diligence.

Squashman
Expert

#11 Post by Squashman » 19 Oct 2015 14:27

The question owner suggested the edits. So I decided to just UPPER CASE all my commands so someone can come along and complain about that as well. There is no correct syntax for batch scripting.

Squashman
Expert

#12 Post by Squashman » 20 Oct 2015 06:44

So three answers posted to a question and I get called out for not explaining what my code does but the other two people don't. I am just not understanding this site.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3321 ... -of-a-file

foxidrive
Expert

#13 Post by foxidrive » 20 Oct 2015 07:06

Squashman wrote:The question owner suggested the edits. So I decided to just UPPER CASE all my commands so someone can come along and complain about that as well. There is no correct syntax for batch scripting.

I'm guessing he deleted his comments - as I can't see them, or any trace of them.

MattW76 wrote:I got down voted because of my Title! And the hyperlink I used that was fine was all wacky after his "edit". This is the ridiculous bs that happens on SO. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33218246 I'm pretty sure I did my due diligence.

Is that your question Matt?

Ed Dyreen wrote:How often have I myself been discouraged by respected members in posting anything at all ?

I'm not sure of the times you've been offended Ed, but I don't have any beef with you as a person.

What does royally cheese me off is people asking questions and giving fake information, and not giving information that is requested.

That latter thing is the ironic part - because whoever is asking the question doesn't have the skills to solve it themselves quickly, but they consider that they know exactly what information is needed to solve the problem.

Samir

#14 Post by Samir » 20 Oct 2015 09:24

foxidrive wrote:What does royally cheese me off is people asking questions and giving fake information, and not giving information that is requested.

That latter thing is the ironic part - because whoever is asking the question doesn't have the skills to solve it themselves quickly, but they consider that they know exactly what information is needed to solve the problem.
Agreed that this can make a difficult problem more difficult, but sometimes there's confidentiality that needs to be preserved (you can't post all the code), so a 'scenario' has to be created. And a lot of times those scenarios seems like they have a lot of missing information. That's just the nature of trying to get help in a public arena like a forum.

Aacini
Expert

#15 Post by Aacini » 20 Oct 2015 11:26

@Squashman (aka Mr. Incredible) :roll:

Well, all that I can say is that you will find more morons in a forum with a larger number of less-specialized people (blame statistics!). I have received a few really strange replies in SO sometimes and there are some posts that just have not any explanation. For example, at this question (the same previously mentioned by you) both your answer and the mine have not descriptions, but user Nathan Tuggy decided to criticize you for that reason and not me, in despite that your code is straightforward and the mine certainly obfuscated! Why? I have no idea, but perhaps in this case the reason is related to the rep points: perhaps Nathan wanted to teach good manners to the 195-rep beginner, but he will not mess with the 29K expert! :mrgreen:

I used to not answer questions from low-rep people, unless they are really interesting. Low-level questions will attract a larger number of low-level readers, so this increment the possibility to receive a reply from a moron. However, now and then you will receive a really pleasant answer that will worth all the nuisances caused by previous bad comments, and this will also happen more frequently in a forum with a larger number of people...

Antonio
Last edited by Aacini on 20 Oct 2015 11:56, edited 1 time in total.