Stackoverflow

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

ShadowThief
Expert

Re: Stackoverflow

#31 Post by ShadowThief » 22 Oct 2015 21:23

To be fair, that really should have been a comment.

Squashman
Expert

#32 Post by Squashman » 22 Oct 2015 21:31

ShadowThief wrote:To be fair, that really should have been a comment.

How is the link I posted not what the user asked for.
Is there a color function in batch that works almost immediately if there are a lot of colors used at once? External programs or powershell counts too!

So the accepted answer is a link to a program and my answer was a link to a program. Explain the difference to me.

ShadowThief
Expert

#33 Post by ShadowThief » 22 Oct 2015 21:50

Admittedly, I take issue with the accepted answer being considered a valid answer as well, but that's the asker's prerogative.

Squashman
Expert

#34 Post by Squashman » 22 Oct 2015 22:09

I guess my feeling is that so many people seem to think that SO is the only place to get answers for their questions. We are a site that specializes in a specific information technology. I find it odd that the user would post a link back to dostips and then not bother to ask the question here. Like I said on SO it is like putting a person on trial and not allowing them to defend themselves or even know they are being judged and executed. I know that seems kind of harsh. The only reason I post on SO is because there are more questions asked over there then here. Most of the stuff I learn is over here. A lot of people over there just seem so rigid. You cant do this or that and they immediately crucify brand new users for asking a question the wrong way. I see that crap every day. I usually just come along and answer the question and move along my merry way. I just do not like people knit picking over trivial crap. You should be posting there to help people. If that is not enough to satisfy your existence in life then you got some serious personal problems. I could care less about the whole reputation and badges. They are meaningless. Does not make my wife or kids think any different of me.

foxidrive
Expert

#35 Post by foxidrive » 25 Oct 2015 09:10

As Devil's advocate here, Squashman, i see two points which are valid.

One point is that the OP may have googled the code and had no intention of coming back to dostips, which is what I often do when I google answers, and take no note of where they are if I get the information I am looking for.

The other is a bit of a sticking point in SO - back when I was more serious there was a rule/recommendation, whatever it was, that said that links shouldn't be used to answer questions because of link rot.
It's recommended to include the text being referred to in the link, as well.

But I suspect the fellow who jumped on your post is a bit of a turkey.

Samir

#36 Post by Samir » 30 Oct 2015 10:42

Squashman wrote:I guess my feeling is that so many people seem to think that SO is the only place to get answers for their questions. We are a site that specializes in a specific information technology. I find it odd that the user would post a link back to dostips and then not bother to ask the question here. Like I said on SO it is like putting a person on trial and not allowing them to defend themselves or even know they are being judged and executed. I know that seems kind of harsh. The only reason I post on SO is because there are more questions asked over there then here. Most of the stuff I learn is over here. A lot of people over there just seem so rigid. You cant do this or that and they immediately crucify brand new users for asking a question the wrong way. I see that crap every day. I usually just come along and answer the question and move along my merry way. I just do not like people knit picking over trivial crap. You should be posting there to help people. If that is not enough to satisfy your existence in life then you got some serious personal problems. I could care less about the whole reputation and badges. They are meaningless. Does not make my wife or kids think any different of me.
I've faced similar issues in various different parts of my life, both personal and professional--why do people not just go to the source when asking a question? And why do people behave like they would not ever in real-life? (I've met people in real life with aggressive online personas and frankly they're pussies.)

It's not fair that people like yourself that are kind enough to help without regard for anything other than the satisfaction of knowing you helped another human feelling anything less because of other nonsense. It's a sad reflection on humanity when even in a new medium (the Internet) we behave like the same animals from the jungle. :(

Squashman
Expert

#37 Post by Squashman » 06 Nov 2015 18:42

So apparently you can delete a question even after someone worked hard providing an answer for you. That is just not cool.

Samir

#38 Post by Samir » 06 Nov 2015 23:16

Squashman wrote:So apparently you can delete a question even after someone worked hard providing an answer for you. That is just not cool.
That's some seriously bad moderation. It's a slap in the face to the creator of the content. I actually refuse to post on sites that do that--it's a waste of my time.

aGerman
Expert

#39 Post by aGerman » 07 Nov 2015 06:37

Sorry to say that but such a discussion is totally meaningless in a Batch forum like this. No one of the responsibles at SO will ever read your complaints here. If you're dissatisfied you should rather tell it to the administration of SO. How should they become aware of it otherwise? And if you're still angry because nothing changes then just leave the site (like I recently did due to excessive overlayered advertisements in a German forum).

Samir

#40 Post by Samir » 07 Nov 2015 09:48

aGerman wrote:Sorry to say that but such a discussion is totally meaningless in a Batch forum like this. No one of the responsibles at SO will ever read your complaints here. If you're dissatisfied you should rather tell it to the administration of SO. How should they become aware of it otherwise? And if you're still angry because nothing changes then just leave the site (like I recently did due to excessive overlayered advertisements in a German forum).
That's probably the approach he already tried--and his complaint was deleted. :mrgreen:

lmstearn

#41 Post by lmstearn » 13 Nov 2015 07:34

The most amazing thing about SO is there are many thousands of legitimate and interesting technical questions downvoted and not given the attention they deserve.
OTOH some bozo comes up with a question like "Why Is DOS Good?" and everyone gets a squillion points for chipping in their own two bob's worth of absolute nonsense.

foxidrive
Expert

#42 Post by foxidrive » 13 Nov 2015 17:05

aGerman wrote:due to excessive overlayered advertisements in a German forum).

Does Adblock+ in Firefox work for you?

aGerman
Expert

#43 Post by aGerman » 14 Nov 2015 07:33

To answer your question, yes it does (not only in Firefox).

Normally I don't use it though. Maintenance of a web site costs money (even if it is only the price for the webspace, the own domain name, or an own server). If site operators offer their services for free there is nothing to say against refinancing via advertising. I don't want to punish them by using adblockers only because I also browse sites that are virtually unusable without Adblock+ and the like. I rather leave those sites forever (and for sure not without telling them why I do so).

foxidrive
Expert

#44 Post by foxidrive » 14 Nov 2015 13:41

aGerman wrote:I don't want to punish them by using adblockers only because I also browse sites that are virtually unusable without Adblock+ and the like. I rather leave those sites forever (and for sure not without telling them why I do so).

Fair enough, aGerman.