Multiple forum sections?

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

SirJosh3917

Multiple forum sections?

#1 Post by SirJosh3917 » 02 Feb 2017 12:37

Wouldn't it be better if the forum had multiple sections, for a cleaner forum?

e.g.

"Batch File Releases"
"External EXE Releases"
"Batch Questions"
"Forum Discussion"

ShadowThief
Expert

Re: Multiple forum sections?

#2 Post by ShadowThief » 02 Feb 2017 13:42

I'm not sure we get enough traffic about things other than batch questions to warrant that.

But from an administrative standpoint, it would take like 5 seconds to do.

Squashman
Expert

#3 Post by Squashman » 02 Feb 2017 14:18

ShadowThief wrote:I'm not sure we get enough traffic about things other than batch questions to warrant that.

But from an administrative standpoint, it would take like 5 seconds to do.

From a moderator standpoint I agree. Not enough traffic but it is easy to setup. Used to admin my own forum back in college.

Compo

#4 Post by Compo » 02 Feb 2017 19:01

I also see no point in doing such a thing, what is needed instead is a decent search facility.

I shouldn't have to go to Google, to successfully search for very infrequently used terms.

As an example
It becomes increasingly worse if you wanted shorter words, two or more words next to each other or heven forbid 'common' words.

SirJosh3917

#5 Post by SirJosh3917 » 02 Feb 2017 20:01

Can we at least have two sections? One for batch questions and the other for releases? I'd like to have my releases and applications (peas) to download one one side of my plate, and questions (corn) on the other. It'd make it easier then to have both peas and corns all jumbled in the middle, and it'd make browsing easier, e.g. a user feels like answering questions, they go to the question side. A user just made the best thing in the world, they goto the release side A user wants to see the cool things made, they goto the release side. The user that's about to make the best thing in the world has a quesiton, they goto the question side.

Compo

#6 Post by Compo » 03 Feb 2017 03:15

The last thing I want is a section for 'releases', I don't want them on here at all. Without wishing to appear rude I have not seen anything you've 'released' that has been of any use.

If you create something and want to share then do so, put it on your own webspace and link to it in posts where it's use can be justified with respective answers.

Going back to my last response, if we had a decent search facility where most popular attachments could be searched then we'd both have our wishes granted. If your 'releases' were popular they'd show up near the top of the search results.

Squashman
Expert

#7 Post by Squashman » 03 Feb 2017 07:47

SirJosh3917 wrote:Can we at least have two sections? One for batch questions and the other for releases?

I will start a discussion with the other moderators to formulate a decision. Then we will need to ask the admin if he thinks it is a good idea as well. Two branches of government but the admin has all the power.

Samir

#8 Post by Samir » 19 Feb 2017 16:32

While multiple levels of a forum can be useful, I actually like the single, busy forum. No need to complicate it. Just leave it as is. Everything works fine.