Is the "Select all" link failing?

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

aGerman
Expert

Re: Is the "Select all" link failing?

#16 Post by aGerman » 22 Aug 2017 10:52

I disabled all Chrome plugins, cleared the cache, re-opened Chrome. No changes ...

When I firstly clicked at Select all then the code box looks like that:
first.png
first.png (14.41 KiB) Viewed 8518 times

after the second click it looks like this:
second.png
second.png (14.34 KiB) Viewed 8518 times

There is a difference that I didn't notice in the first place. As you can see the marked text is grayed in the first picture. That indicates that it is inactive (losts the keyboard focus). No idea why this happens but for that reason Ctrl+C doesn't work. In the second picture you see that the marked text is active and thus, Ctrl+C works.

Steffen

admin
Site Admin

#17 Post by admin » 22 Aug 2017 22:55

So the "Remember Me" is good now, great!

Steffen,
Your images help understanding the issue. I'll update the forum and styles and see if that helps.

Peter

aGerman
Expert

#18 Post by aGerman » 23 Aug 2017 10:48

Peter,

please get back to us after you updated the forum source.

Thanks!
Steffen

aGerman
Expert

#19 Post by aGerman » 29 Aug 2017 12:08

I noticed that the "Select all" link seems to be working again using Chrome. Can anyone confirm?

Steffen

Aacini
Expert

#20 Post by Aacini » 29 Aug 2017 12:19

Yes. The "Select all" is correctly working now with Chrome.

Antonio

aGerman
Expert

#21 Post by aGerman » 29 Aug 2017 12:27

Thanks Antonio! Either Peter fixed it and didn't tell us or Google updated the Chrome browser which I didn't realize :lol:

Steffen

thefeduke

#22 Post by thefeduke » 01 Sep 2017 16:02

aGerman wrote:Thanks Antonio! Either Peter fixed it and didn't tell us or Google updated the Chrome browser which I didn't realize :lol:

Steffen
Now that "Select all" seems to work, I have a related question. Before there was a "select all", I used to drag the mouse from beyond the end of the last line of code to its first character (in either direction) and select "copy" on a right-click. When pasting into my favorite editor the last line was omitted if it was a single ")" or "}" character which often led to execution errors until I noticed. Notepad works fine and my editor handles the clipboard OK when I use "Select all".

"Select all" is easier, so I have no problem to solve. But, I must conclude that the data in the clipboard has different content when created using these two methods.

Can anyone offer an explanation?

John A.

penpen
Expert

#23 Post by penpen » 01 Sep 2017 18:31

thefeduke wrote: But, I must conclude that the data in the clipboard has different content when created using these two methods.

Can anyone offer an explanation?
If you use a Browser to view a webpage, then your browser does the following:
- downloads the webpage resources (HTML files, JavaScipt files, ...),
- creates a DOM (Document Object Model) which could be seen as an invisible tree representation of the webpage in RAM, and
- creates a view of the actual webpage.

If you are using the Mouse (or similar) to mark something, then you only mark something in the resulting view.
The javascript functionality behind "Select all" marks the content of an object in the DOM.

The view might have rules for dealing with marking text; for example:
If the marked area is big enough then only mark full words;
Or treat some text as unmarkable.
This might make it impossible to mark the same region as the "Select all"-feature.

Even if the region is the same, there might be differences (although there shouldn't be any in theory).
Mainly these differences are caused by rendering speed optimizations; for example:
The view might contain an incomplete copy of the DOM-data, so you only can copy this incomplete data.

penpen

thefeduke

#24 Post by thefeduke » 01 Sep 2017 23:04

penpen wrote:Even if the region is the same, there might be differences (although there shouldn't be any in theory).
Thank you for the reply. I think that I have stumbled upon a simpler answer for this particular situation. The following two examples appear the same, but use the "code" tags differently:

Code: Select all

(@Echo.Running %~nx0
)

(@Echo.Running %~nx0
)
If pasted into notepad repeatedly the former adds to the end of the previous paste while the latter adds on the next line. The [/code] tag starts on its own line in that latter but abuts the code in the former, suppressing the normal CRLF. My favorite editor is looking for CRLF to end a line and just loses it when it is absent.

John A.

aGerman
Expert

#25 Post by aGerman » 02 Sep 2017 05:33

Both of your examples don't the new line characters at the end. Only if you have a blank line before the closing tag it you will have it in the code box.

This

[code](@Echo.Running %~nx0
)

[/code]
results in that

(@Echo.Running %~nx0
)

although I never had problems with missing new line characters in the editors I use (PSPad, Notepad++, Notepad).

Steffen

Aacini
Expert

#26 Post by Aacini » 23 Oct 2017 09:07

The "Select all" link + Ctrl-C key is not working again! I need to click the right button and select Copy...

aGerman
Expert

#27 Post by aGerman » 23 Oct 2017 11:06

Same here Antonio. Again it's only an issue with Chrome. But this time the marked text doesn't seem lose the keyboard focus. Strange :?

Steffen