Windows 10 Startup Loop CMD Regback backup

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

ibraq07

Windows 10 Startup Loop CMD Regback backup

#1 Post by ibraq07 » 22 Feb 2019 11:08

I couldn't get a machine I was working on to boot up at all. I did see some system restore options but that did not work and neither did the startup repair. I did some research on youtube, and I had to go to the command prompt. Here is what I did:

d:
dir
copy *.* backup
CD regback
dir
copy *.* ..
A

I overwrote all, and where I once had data in the fields, they are not all gone with 0KB in them. Now I can't even see any restore points as they became inactive and I can't even get to the blue screen that I was able to get to before. I literally can't do anything now.

Before I make any mistakes, I would like to know what directory I should be on to restore from the backup that I had.

You can see the video on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywj1yfJya1g to see exactly what I did.

Ed Dyreen
Expert

Re: Windows 10 Startup Loop CMD Regback backup

#2 Post by Ed Dyreen » 22 Feb 2019 11:46

Of course you have an array of backups of all your important data at your disposal, if not then your data is either not important or you have been very naïve. This happens to everybody, learn from it. I use a pirated version of acronis true image enterprise server. That can backup and restore any filesystem. The last time I bothered recovering a totally **censored** up OS was something like 25 years ago.

Copy the entire hard drive, insert a new one, remove the old one and reinstall the OS. reattach the old one the regain access to your data.

ibraq07

#3 Post by ibraq07 » 22 Feb 2019 11:57

Ed Dyreen wrote:
22 Feb 2019 11:46
Of course you have an array of backups of all your important data at your disposal, if not then your data is either not important or you have been very naïve. This happens to everybody, learn from it. I use a pirated version of acronis true image enterprise server. That can backup and restore any filesystem. The last time I bothered recovering a totally **censored** up OS was something like 25 years ago.
I don't think you are understanding my ask. What I need is to restore the files that are copied into the backup folder back into the directory. I shouldn't need any other software to achieve this, this should be a task ran completely from the command prompt.

Squashman
Expert

#4 Post by Squashman » 22 Feb 2019 11:58

When Windows Vista was released, Microsoft came up with a much improved backup utility built-in to the operating system. Now granted there was NTBackup in the past but the new one is practically effortless as far as setting up the backups and restoring them. I would highly advise you look into using a full backup program.

Ed Dyreen
Expert

#5 Post by Ed Dyreen » 22 Feb 2019 12:08

Ah sorry, I did not read you already had the backups, hope you can repair it like that. I wouldn't know howto because I switched to using software many larger companies use years ago because it was more versatile and reliable at the time and probably still.

ibraq07

#6 Post by ibraq07 » 22 Feb 2019 12:19

If you guys can, please watch the youtube video I posted. It made me go through the motion of creating a backup directory with a copy of all the files before I rewrote on the REGBACK folder. All I want to know is how to revert these changes and copy all the contents from the backup folder within the config folder and replace rewrite everything on the config folder with it.

ibraq07

#7 Post by ibraq07 » 22 Feb 2019 12:21

Squashman wrote:
22 Feb 2019 11:58
When Windows Vista was released, Microsoft came up with a much improved backup utility built-in to the operating system. Now granted there was NTBackup in the past but the new one is practically effortless as far as setting up the backups and restoring them. I would highly advise you look into using a full backup program.
I think this is drifting away from my original ask to a completely different direction. I just added a comment up above, please view it and let me know if you will be able to assist me with this. I am pretty sure this is something very quick to accomplish.

Squashman
Expert

#8 Post by Squashman » 22 Feb 2019 12:35

ibraq07 wrote:
22 Feb 2019 12:21
Squashman wrote:
22 Feb 2019 11:58
I think this is drifting away from my original ask to a completely different direction. I just added a comment up above, please view it and let me know if you will be able to assist me with this. I am pretty sure this is something very quick to accomplish.
This site really isn't for troubleshooting operating system problems. I am closing this question.