Can I compare data using a command when using side by side function

Discussion forum for all Windows batch related topics.

Moderator: DosItHelp

tweacle

Can I compare data using a command when using side by side function

#1 Post by tweacle » 13 Mar 2019 15:33

I have 2 workbooks open that I want to compare using view side by side function and also synchroinous syncing .

Is there anyway that I can automate it to compare so that it looks down the two workbooks comparing data and if missing from 1st sheet it highlight it.

What I want to do I want to look in the 1st sheet and on the tab I selected, in columns B/C/D/E i need to check to see if an exact match on 2nd sheet in columns A/B/C/D and if the data is an exact match thats OK . If not in 2nd sheet can I highlight it on 1st sheet selected tab or put onto a new sheet.

I need it to look all the way down looking for a match in 2nd sheet in columns B/C/D/E as they may be on different line numbers on the 2 sheets.

Is this possible?

Squashman
Expert

Re: Can I compare data using a command when using side by side function

#2 Post by Squashman » 13 Mar 2019 19:56

No. Pretty sure we have told you that batch files cannot interact with graphical user interface programs.

Aacini
Expert

#3 Post by Aacini » 13 Mar 2019 21:00

Perhaps you may achieve what you want via SendMessage.exe program.

Antonio

tweacle

#4 Post by tweacle » 14 Mar 2019 01:25

Ok if I can’t do it that way is there any other way that I can do it and try to simplify. I don’t care how it’s done but all I need to do is for it to ask me what workbooks I want to open from and then compare data between the two workbooks and highlight missing ones .

The workbooks will have named sheets within them so would need to compare both with same names

Just was playing round with excel and found that way and thought that may of been it.

If it can’t ask me what workbooks I want to open I can open them manually. I know how to compare data within 1 workbook but not within 2 separate workbooks.

aGerman
Expert

#5 Post by aGerman » 14 Mar 2019 07:14

MS Office provides automation using ActiveX. You need to learn about VBA, VBScript, JScript, or PowerShell in order to use it. Batch doesn't support it.

Steffen

tweacle

#6 Post by tweacle » 14 Mar 2019 09:30

Right got ya. Fully understand now . Many thanks